586,069 active members*
3,808 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Indexer LPT - HELP!

I've acquired an old Digital Tool DR 902, the system is still using Windows 3.1 and a DOS version of Indexer LPT. But, I don't have the password to get into Indexer LPT. I've contacted CNT Motion Systems (who make the current version of the machine) they directed me to the company that writes the Indexer LPT. That company told me that Digital Tool wasn't supposed to sell Indexer LPT with their machines, and therefore refuse to help me untill I purchase their upgrade ($700). I'm trying to get the machine up and running so that I can assess whether or not to purchase a software & hardware upgrade (from another company, NOT Indexer LPT!). Does anyone remember what the password is to get into this system?!!!!
    Thank you for any assistance.

I just got the new indexer LPT..... from what I see it looks great - Ill be running in about 2 weeks....
    By the way, Art seems to be a great gy (owner Ability Systems) I also talked to Digitsal Tool about buying a machine and I heard quite a few bad things about them not sending people things they ordered etc... so I would say based on what I have heard that Ability Systems is not who Id have the grudge with... Art has been helping through my CNC project for a while..... before I ever bought a thing from him.....
    Just my 2 cents =)

I called Art at Ability Systems, with all intentions of upgrading my software, so long as I could get the machine up & running and it showed reasonable performance.
    As far as the grudge, Art was the one who started whinning about HIS business dealings with Digital Tool and stated HIS hostilities. I just contacted him as the owner of a second hand machine, with software with HIS name on it, and thought he would stand behind that name.
    And as I've found, there are vast differences in companies, with CNT Motion Systems earning a solid place at the bottom! After weeks of planning (with MAX) and lost time from work, not to mention $$$ lost in travel expences, Max only managed stand me up on a meeting to buy a new machine. I ended up north of the boarder buying twice the machine, and much happier in the process and producing parts the day it was delivered!!

Unhappy

I sincerely apologize for negative impressions that I might have cast towards anyone, and I shall be mindful to avoid discussions about previous experiences like this in the future, though I honestly don't recall exactly what I had said.

For the record, however, and especially considering the fact that you published your sentiments (and they might be read by the persons involved), I can also honestly say that I harbor no hard feelings for the folks from Digital Tool. It would cheer me to meet them today, and to know that they are doing well, as I am sure it would of them for me. I am sure that the closing days of Digital Tool had its unique set of pressures, and (as I had expressed to the president's wife in a telephone conversation at one time), I had worried about the levels of stress that I had detected, and its possible effects on their health.

Nevertheless, we had a written agreement with Digital Tool tool to execute a non-transferable program license agreement between Ability Systems and the end user. The non-transferable nature was compensated for adequately by the exceptionally deep OEM discount. Consequently, any copy of our software that is transferred as a result of second hand purchase of a Digital Tool machine is unauthorized.

From time to time we get calls for support for unauthorized software, and are faced with propositional sales on the basis of our success. Yet to even acknowledge that the software can be used temporarily legally dismisses our Copyright, and exposes us to the type of liability that our license agreement was designed to protect us from - especially on a potentially dangerous machine like a wood router. You had mentioned that our name was on the product. Next to our name (on all of our software) it says "use only in accordance with the Program License Agreement".

Unfortunately, when software is sold outside of the license agreement, as it was in your case, the buyer is victimized as well.

As I said, I don't recall the conversation, but since I obviously offended you, I sincerely ask you to accept my apology.

with best regards,
    Arthur Volta
    Ability Systems Corporation