586,036 active members*
4,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: newbie

Hello to all members , I was not sure where to post this but industrial hobbies seemed appropriate.
    My hobby/business is investment casting and I am pretty well established after more than 20 years at it. More recently I have got into high precision castings and have built my own high pressure wax injector to produce patterns from dies . I use rapid prototyped master patterns for complex parts but would like to learn more about die sinking using CNC milling , which is why I have joined.
    I mainly produce parts for model steam locomotives and am currently working on a kit for a Gauge 1 model which I hope to market before too long.

Abby
    Industrial hobbies is a brand of mill. So not sure if its right place. What is die sinking by the way?
    sorry not to be any help.
    Randy

LOL! live and learn Eh ?

Good luck in your search.
    Randy

Maybe you can get some help here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=302

or here.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120

But really what you need to learn about is CNC machining, which you then apply to die making. If you ask around on the CNC forums you will probably come up with someone with experience in your particular interest who will point you in the right direction. You will need to distinguish between CNC forums primarily dedicated to building CNC machines and those primarily dedicated to using them.

Good Luck
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by abby View Post
    Hello to all members , I was not sure where to post this but industrial hobbies seemed appropriate.
    My hobby/business is investment casting and I am pretty well established after more than 20 years at it. More recently I have got into high precision castings and have built my own high pressure wax injector to produce patterns from dies . I use rapid prototyped master patterns for complex parts but would like to learn more about die sinking using CNC milling , which is why I have joined.
    I mainly produce parts for model steam locomotives and am currently working on a kit for a Gauge 1 model which I hope to market before too long.

Die sinking is the act of producing a mold cavity, as in die sinking EDM.

Joe