586,036 active members*
3,636 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Should I bother learning V22?

Should I bother learning V22?

Here's a little backgound:
    I am a job shop owner.
    I already own a copy of V22 with Mill, Lathe and Art.
    I have no prior CAD CAM experience.
    I currently program at the machine using HAAS Intutive Programming System & G-code.
    I will be using it to make a living.
    I'm on a limited budget.
    I have the appropriate computer hardware to run any software.

Here's what I'm looking for:
    A short learning curve and ease of use.
    I want to draw or import and program 2.5D Mill now.
    I want to draw or import and program lathe down the road
    I want to draw or import and progam 3D down the road.
    Sofware that will grow with me.

My options as I see it:
    Learn what I have.
    Upgrade to V23 (better? easier?)
    Sell what I have and buy something different (Dolphin, Featuremill etc...)
    Save up and hold out for something better (Gibbs, Matercam etc...)

I want to do this right from the start so I don't have to unlearn bad habits (like my golf game!). I'm looking for any guidance or suggestions.
    Thanks

If you have not invested time in to v22, I would answer "No". My understanding is that V23 is much more stable, and overall "better". There are problems with V22 that were never solved.

I bought V23, and I will say it was not intuitive to learn. That said, I did take the three day training class, and found it MOST helpful. I am very happy with the software, and it does what I need it to do. I doubt you will fine another package that is as well rounded in both CAD and CAM at a similar price point. That said, the price point is VERY negotiable. Don't settle for what they charge, negotiate it down, and use the "weakness" of the V22 you already own to argue it lower! Don't settle for more than $700 a seat if you get more than one seat (and you should be able to do even better than that).

Also, to assist in your training, get a login here:

http://www.cadcamtrainer.com/links.html

After you get the login, follow the link to "Sorin's Free Videos":

http://cadcamtrainer.com/free/

to get some very well documented, FREE, step by step instructional videos to get you on your way.

I would buy the V23 standard package you could get it for just a few hundred, and would give you a more stable program.

To learn more about how to use BobCAD I would join BobCAD's support forum. www.bobcadsupport.com.

Click on the official user forum logo and register.

You'll learn lots right there, You are just doing 2.5 D parts so it can't be that hard.

To get BobCAD working for you

#1 Install and check the system requirements and make sure that match what BobCAD recommends.

#2 Post some test programs and prove that the post works on your machine with the type of machining you are doing. Your are running a HAAS so that shouldn't be hard at all.

#3 Post questions that you have about BobCAD on their user forum and get the answers you need right away.

#4 Make lots of money and be a happy BobCAD customer.

Follow these step and you be up and running in a week or 2

Thank you for the prompt feedback. I've tired to contact Sorin for login info from several different emails and computers and I keep getting delivery failure notices. Any ideas? Also, does the v23 come with training videos or are those extra and if so should i buy them? Lastly, what can't I do with Bobcad that I may want to do down the road (I realize that's kind of a loaded question)?
    Thanks again.

I would try to email Tjones. He is the site administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Imago View Post
    Thank you for the prompt feedback. I've tired to contact Sorin for login info from several different emails and computers and I keep getting delivery failure notices. Any ideas? Also, does the v23 come with training videos or are those extra and if so should i buy them? Lastly, what can't I do with Bobcad that I may want to do down the road (I realize that's kind of a loaded question)?
    Thanks again.
    >>>>I've tired to contact Sorin for login info from several different emails and computers and I keep getting delivery failure notices>>>>

Just register on the site. Create your own login info.

>>>>>what can't I do with Bobcad that I may want to do down the road >>>>

Create 1500 part assemblies! Perform Finite Element Analysis from within the software. Complain that you have the same issues/problems as everybody else for an extraordinarily larger amount of money!

Thanks Burrman. I was able to access Sorin's download files after registering on his forum. I was going by the instructions on the download page of his website that requests new users email him for the login info.

Quote Originally Posted by Imago View Post
    Thanks Burrman. I was able to access Sorin's download files after registering on his forum. I was going by the instructions on the download page of his website that requests new users email him for the login info.
    Oh yeah, I think thats old.

v22

v22 is about the same as v23 .i would work with the v22 to see if you like it.If you do like it then i would upgrade to v23 .also dont pay more then 300.00 i got the up grade for 275.

Got my V23 upgrade for $150.

Bob