586,106 active members*
3,167 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Business Practices > Business Practices / Pricing > Low cost companies making metal prototype? (CNC or cast)

Low cost companies making metal prototype? (CNC or cast)

Hello

I'd like to build a physical prototype of a new kind of high security lock.
    I don't have the proper tools (and of course I don't have a CNC machine) and I've thought that I could pay some online company to build it for me.

I've found these:
    bigbluesaw, teamwhyachi, firstcut, emachineshop

Do you have any experience with them?.
    Can you recommend any other?

I'll do it in steel, or aluminium if steel is too expensive.
    Maybe I get some parts from one company and some other from other to avoid that they could copy my ideas.
    It could also be done with any other manufacturing method. I accept advises.

regards

If you really want to control your IP, make up a sketch of each part and have them made locally by 2 - 3 small shops.

Have the proto made from the same materials you plan to have the final product made from, or very close. The materials only represent a small portion of the final product, but a big portion of the use / marketing of your product.

As a practical matter, most people in your position need some advice on how things are actually built and fit. For this reason, I suggest that you find one local machine shop to help you build the entire prototype, one that has the ability to scale up to at least a few 100 per month - which isn't that hard.

The moment you send a drawing off to those services / China, your entire product will be gone before you build 10.

The prototype stage is the most expensive part of a project, production of most items is actually pretty reasonable once you hit 100 to 1 000 parts, especially if you think through what kind of machine the part will be built on when you start the design.

You might also consider to build a proto yourself - in delrin or PVC plastic. If the parts are small, consider to make it 3X actual size. These plastics can be hand machined with a file and some time. Delrin is similar to brass in terms of characteristics.

I am not sure about Spain, but here we have an on-line company called "craigslist" where people offer various services. Just type in "cnc" or "machining" or similar. You might find a local hobbiest who can help you.

Hi

The idea is to have the prototype build in order to show that is very difficult to open without the proper key. Somebody would try to hack it.
    I think it would be a good idea to make it real size.
    If it were much bigger it would be much easier to insert tools in the keyway.

Anyway I'm not in hurry.

My idea is not to mass produce it but to sell the prototype to any big company. For that I need to show that it works

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    The moment you send a drawing off to those services / China, your entire product will be gone before you build 10.
    You have no idea how true that is. I have a first hand story about a major mfg's product that was in the tooling phase, ... While the tooling was being made, a pirate company had ALREADY produced, and had on the black market, the fakes.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    You have no idea how true that is. I have a first hand story about a major mfg's product that was in the tooling phase, ... While the tooling was being made, a pirate company had ALREADY produced, and had on the black market, the fakes.
    Maybe is not worth my effort and money to create it. ¿?