586,121 active members*
3,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > Hitachi L200 Intelligent Input Terminal wiring
Page 1 of 2 12

Hitachi L200 Intelligent Input Terminal wiring

Hello All!

I have a friend that recently purchased a Hitachi L200 VFD for use with a Series II Bridgeport. He does not plan on using the VFD for anything else other than to turn the mill's motor on (forward / reverse). In other words, he is not converting it to CNC, nor will he be using a PC to control or operate the spindle.

He simply wants to turn on the power to the VFD, then use the mill's forward / reverse switch (which will be wired to the VFD via the "Intelligent Input Terminals") to control the motor.

Sounds like a simple concept, but we are having a bit of trouble. First of all, let me state that I am not an electrician, an electrical engineer, nor one who knows very much about circuits and logic controls.

I believe that I have configured it correctly per the instructions, but I can not control the VFD via the Input terminals. I have attached the relevant pages from the manual for reference.

I set the SR/SK DIP switch to SK per page 4-9, which I believe is correct.

I am a little confused by the schematic on page 4-10. Can I use the forward / reverse swith from the mill, or do I need some sort of transistorized device to interface with the inputs?

I set the A002 = 01 parameter, per page 4-12, to enable the control terminal (see page 3-10 for options).

Now, if I understand correctly, all I need to do, per page 4-12, is connect the PCS terminal (via the switch) to terminal "1", and the motor should turn on, in the forward direction. If I connect the PCS terminal (via the switch) to terminal "2", the motor should turn on, in the reverse direction.
    But nothing happens when i make these connections.

I know that the VFD is working, and wired correctly, because if I turn the VFD on (with the A002 = 02 option set), the motor turn on and runs. I can also adjust the speed with the potentiometer. But I have no way to reverse the motor, without changing VFD parameters.

I do not understand whay it does not work using the Intelligent Input Terminal. What am I missing? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. :cheers:

OOPS! Here are the attachments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails L200 3-10.jpg   L200 4-06.jpg   L200 4-09.jpg   L200 4-10.jpg  

L200 4-12.jpg  

Hi Robhrzic

Have you got 24vDC in your switching circuit you have the option to use the internal 24vDC supply or a external supply which you would have to supply & when you get it going do not switch from forward to reverse to quickly to do forward & reverse instant you will need a braking resistor fitted
    Mactec54

Machtec64,

Yes, I have 26.7 VDC across the PCS and L (ground) terminal.

I would try using a jumper wire or a couple of temporary switches to see if the bridgeport switch is working correctly.

I have the sj200 using mach3 but the principle is the same.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

That switch should be on SR i think.

Settings, it is alsways the settings!

I just took a look at the manual for the L200 manual and here are what the basic settings should be.

C001=00 gives forward from terminal 1
    C002=01 gives reverse from terminal 2
    A001=00 uses the onboard pot for frequency control
    A002=01 allows use of the terminals instead of keypad for forward and reverse.

Once you get it up and running and if you are only using it for on and off, you should set some acceleration profiles to keep it from tripping out when starting/stopping or changing directions.

Mike

C001=00 gives forward from terminal 1
    C002=01 gives reverse from terminal 2
    A001=00 uses the onboard pot for frequency control
    A002=01 allows use of the terminals instead of keypad for forward and reverse.

TOTALLYRC, JimP, thanks for your time and input.

This is exactly how I set the parameters of the L200. I even double, then triple checked everything, but nothing happens. I've tried the SK and SR settings with the DIP switch, and nothing happens. And yes, I tried using a short jumper wire from the PCS terminal, and terminal #1 (and #2) and nothing happens.

I also have it configured (using the F002 and F003 parameters, I believe) to ramp up acceleration in 3 seconds, and deceleration in 3 seconds. Again, it works fine when using the contol panel Run button, Stop/Reset button and potentiometer (setting A002=02 and bypassing the mill's switch altogether). It's just that you can't reverse the motor very easily, or chane from Hi range to Lo range very easily. :drowning::drowning::drowning:

I did find out that if you jumper the PCS terminal to the L terminal (like the manual tells you :nono: to do), it trips an error code and the unit resets itself with a loud click. So I know I have voltage at the terminal block.

I also have one of these exact same units installed on my wood cutting bandsaw, to make it a variable wood / metal cutting bandsaw. It works great, though I have mine configured to use the control panel and potentiometer to adjust the speed (Hz) of the motor.

I tried the same thing (configuration and parameter settings) with my inverter, and I get the same (lack of) results. That's why I thought that I must be missing something, or do not have something configured correctly. I find it hard to believe that both units are somehow defective, and / or can not be configured according to the manual.

I was hoping to find someone here, on this forum, that has had success doing what I am trying to do, with the same unit / model, so that I could get some input. I thought about contacting www.driveswarehouse.com, where Ipurchesed the unit, but I found out that Hitachi has discontinued this model. Wonder why? :devious:

It doesn't seem like it should be this difficult according to the instructions.
    I just can't seem to figure out how to get it to work. :withstupi

Hi robhrzic

You may have smoked the circuit as the manual tells you not to short PCS to L terminal
    it is in section 4-6 that may be the reason that they do not work you may have smoked the circuit on the first try
    Mactec54

Hi robhrzic.

It looks easy but it can take awhile to get it dialed in.
    The only other thing I can think of is to make sure that c02,c03,c04 and c05 are not at either 00 or 01.

Otherwise it looks like you have it hooked up properly. Just to be safe you could always try an external 24v power supply.

Let us know if you get it sorted out.

Mike

How about a Reset?

I have performed a reset a couple of times already, with the same results. The unit still operates the same way as it did before the reset.

I don't think that the circuitry was damaged, by shorting the PCS terminal to the L terminal. All it seemed to do is trip a breaker, and reset itself. Besides, I did not do that (short PSC to L) on my bandsaw's VFD, and it operates exactly in the same manner as the other one does.

If I were to use an external 24V power supply, what type could I use? How would I make the connection? If I understand it correctly, I would connect the (+) side to the C001 or C002 terminal. Where would I connect the (-) side to? The L terminal?

Greetings,
    Did you ever get your problem sorted out? Months later, I'm in the same boat you were. Got the freq. and other setting down, but not the reversable motor functions.
    Thanks,
    Gos

According to what I read in the previous posts, the sink/source was set to SK, sink, so the input should be switched or taken to L. not PCS.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I'll ask it this way then.
    Does anyone have a flow chart and schematic, or cheat sheet for programming the L200 to go from CW to ACW rotation?

I'm doing what I can to follow the instructions but when I try jumping from the PCS terminal to L1, L2 nothing happens.

Either way, I'm up the creek for reversing the motor outside of using the original switch on the J-head motor. I'd like to be able to set up a CW/OFF/ACW switch to operate the reversing function of the L200 and just leave the original motor switch in CW position.

I'm also using the L200 as a phase converter from single to three phase.

All other programed functions went just fine. I have my one second power up and 1 second power down.

Thanks
    Gos

The directions are a little confusing but with some help you should be able to overcome this problem.
    I am away from my machine at the moment but if you don't get it straightened out soon I will try to help.

The hard part is getting all the setting right for the programmable terminals.
    I think that you need to make 3 changes to get it to do what you want. 1 is to change from keypad to terminals, 2 is to set the functions for each terminal and the 3rd is an unexpected setting deeper in the manual but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

I have the sj200 and it is a rock solid VFD and would not hesitate to get another.

Mike

Any help would be appreciated.
    I may end up taking a day off work just to stay on hold with Hitachi.

Thanks again,
    Gos

Here is a link to the manual if you need it.

http://www.mgitech.com/support/L200_...on_NB660XA.pdf

Check to make sure that you have these settings

Function code
    C001-----00 This makes term 1 forward
    C002-----01 This makes term 2 Rev

These make the terms either NO or NC depending on which way you wire it

C011
    C012 NO or NC

This setting makes the drive accept inteligent terminal inputs instead of keypad inputs. The default setting is keypad.

A002 ----01

Let me know if this helps. These settings will still have the onboard speed pot active. If you wish to add remote speed control we can do that later.

Mike

Actually,
    I've gotten all the way through setting the programming parameters, then when I tried to proof it out using jumpers in place of switches on L1 & L2 I could get nothing to work, and disabled my Run and Potentiometer controls...

I got in contact with Hitachi yesterday via email so at least I have a direct phone number now.

Thanks again,
    Gos

PS. Thanks also for the on line manual. I have both the book, and the on line version already. It's just getting my thick skull to understand what I'm missing that's the trick here...

Glad to help.
    If nothing else, set the drive back to factory defaults and start over. Just in case you fried something. Since you have a phone number they should get you running.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12