586,058 active members*
3,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC programmer/machinist

Please see attached job description - We are a wheel manufacturer that makes high end multi-piece wheels for luxury and exotic vehicles - job coolness factor 9 - see attached photo's of current products.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boozer's Rolls.jpg   599.jpg   IMG00101.jpg   Bentley Flying Spur D.jpg  

Grand Turismo 01.jpg   SLR NY.jpg   CL600 04.jpg   Org Lambo.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files

That's a pretty tall list of job skills for only $44K / year in California.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    That's a pretty tall list of job skills for only $44K / year in California.
    You have to take into account the 'job coolness factor'.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

You're being to critical. It might be they don't need to retain their help once the coolness dies and reality beyond the shop sets in. Nice wheels though.

The job description is for a machine shop manager, a position in which you can earn quite a bit more than the $44k east of the Rockies - DonkeyHotey nailed it, alot of demands for a paltry sum in beautiful Cali...

Just over $21 per hour salary, with no chance of overtime even though you can bet your a** you'll have to pull down 50+ hours a week.

Good luck getting a person that really has the skills you seek...maybe in this bad job market I guess.

Well, at my 'day job', a regular old G-code machinist with some basic Mastercam skills can earn up to $28/hour with full bennies, overtime, etc. They don't have to schedule production, deal with operators or do any of that other stuff.
    Greg

Thanks for the comments guys I've already recieved several resumes of what seem to be qualifed individuals. I glad you feel comfortable enough in your positions to make these kinds of comments. Jobs are hard to come by right now so I hope the company you work for stays in business so you can keep your jobs. Overconfidence killed of some of the greatest leaders or our time, learn to stay humble. Thanks and have a great day!

Glad you have the applicants, but you're not in Detroit and this is in Azusa:

http://careers.northropgrumman.com/E...eNumber=176082

Just sayin'
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by des_mojosc View Post
    .... Jobs are hard to come by right now so I hope the company you work for stays in business so you can keep your jobs....
    Translation: Let's screw the skilled guys while we can.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Exactly Geof.

des_mojosc - you taking advantage of a poor economy to screw somebody out of a fair wage for alot of responsibility. You are undoubtedly going to make a tidy profit off of your product, and the way you are obviously going to be keeping all the rewards from the hard work and skill of another shows what kind of person you are!

Best of luck to you...I'll make sure not to buy any of your products. As to remaining humble, you may want to look yourself in the mirror once in a while.

Something is amiss when you want to rely on employees as a "profit center". But, the job market is subject to the supply and demand of the open market place, so there probably are desperate people that will do a great job. That will probably feel no sense of loyalty to you and will jump ship for better pay at the earliest possible opportunity.

And then you'll be looking for a replacement when the job market may not be so much in your favor. To get this replacement will also require a fair market value salary.

However, I'm contemplating buying some used cnc and you better believe I am going to exploit the current state of economy to get the best value I can.

Maybe you can get an Indian or Chinese person on one of those B1B work visa's to move to the states and work for $12.00 an hour?

There are probably people out there that would be delighted to work for you. I'm just amazed by America's "race to the bottom" and how dismal it is to be a working person in todays economic climate. From my view, the fat cats and Wall Street Bankers have sucked up all the money out of the system to such an extent that American Corporations are ending up putting their middle class customer base OUT OF WORK, so even the fat cats suffer because their corporations have fewer people to buy their products.

Your wheels seem to be targeted to an audience made up of aspiring elites that at least want to look the part. I hope your target market remains big enough to fuel the continued success of your business.

I wish America could enjoy the sense of shared sacrifice that was unavoidable during world war two. This every man for himself greed that currently sums up working life in America sure seems fundamentally unfair to me!

-Jim

Cool

Bad economy or not, you still will only get what you pay for.

TM

While you are at it why don't you see if they will market it for you ,keep your books ,and do your taxes for you at the end of the year. Thank god I live on the east coast!!! Coolness factor does not feed the kids and pay the house payment.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Translation: Let's screw the skilled guys while we can.
    Sad but True "You Nailed it Geof "
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    . As to remaining humble, you may want to look yourself in the mirror once in a while.
    This type never looks in the mirror, that's why they can sleep at night.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Job coolness factor 9? Seriously? After what I read you are not looking for just a CNC machinist and top that off with the location compared to pay...no coolness factor is worth that kind of pay.