586,076 active members*
3,954 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Urgent help with possible stepper and driver combo

Urgent help with possible stepper and driver combo

I am having trouble with my Boxford TCL 125 lathe . It still has the original motors and drivers on board . I have been trying to check the distance travelled in the 'Z' axis is correct . I am using a DTI with .01 resolution . This is all being controlled via Mach3 .

The problem I have is that I cannot get any consistency . The motor is connected to the leadscrew via a toothed belt . With the belt on the motor moves rather odd i.e. fits and starts . However with the belt off it does the same movement with no bother . The leadscrew is perfectly free and easy with no sticking points . So I am assuming the motor is defunct in some way .

The question is will the spare motors I have , which should be shown in the pdf attachment , work with the original drivers which should also be shown .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010024.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looks like they should work together. The GS D200 is a 1 amp driver (factory default) but can be altered via a resistor at pin 9 to limit the current to a different amount. Data sheet is here:

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/...re/ds/2666.pdf

You might check your circuit board to see if pin 9 of the D200's is connected through a resistor to either ground or Vss. If so, simply disconnecting those resistors should set the D200 to 1 Amp.

You will use the motors full winding, center tap unused.

Steve

Cheers vger

I have not yet attempted to change the motor yet . I have continued with trying to get the step rate right for the axis . I think I have now crack it . Whilst I have been doing this I have found out that the motor only plays up at 50mm/min feedrate . Anything above or below is it is fine . Sooooo , for the moment I will leave it until I can figure it out or I just can't get around it .

Thanks for the rapid response though . This is what makes this forum a great place .