586,396 active members*
2,944 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Engraving on a 3D surface

Engraving on a 3D surface

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help me, I'd like to engrave onto a 3D surface and wondered how the best way to go about this woud be. I started out trying to project 2D curves onto a surface, couldn't work that out so imported the curves in 3D as required, but the engraving function seems to only recognise planes or cylindrical curves as a base surface.

Does anyone know if it is possible to select a 3D surface as the base for engraving or is it a case of importing the 3D result required and use the milling operations?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Fishy -

I gave it my best shot, but ended up coming to the same conclusion you did. A cylinder or plane is the best you'll get from SprutCAM at this point.

Your best bet is to do the projection in your CAD program and then let SprutCAM do a waterline cut on it. It will be tricky to get a good projection in CAD, too, but you can probably get something to work.

Good Luck, and if you figure something out, please let us know!

Regards,

- Just Gary

Hi justgary,

Thanks for your reply, so far the best I got was to model exactly what I wanted in CAD but it seems a little over the top - plus the results with a Plane Finish op or Waterline Finish op are not as good as a simple engraving, it would be much better if I could get the cutter to follow curves as with engraving. I'm playing about with the Drive Finish op at the moment which looks like it could work, but struggling with it at the moment to specify depth of cut. I'll let you know if I get anywhere. Any further ideas greatly appreciated

Many thanks,
    Paul

Best results so far with the 3D Curve milling op using imported 3D curves. Still, it would be nice to get the curves to project inside Sprut, I'll keep on playing.....

Have you tried using the sew command? I experiemented with this and it seems to work.

David

Hello David, I haven't sussed out the sew command yet, but will keep perservering - thanks for the pointer