586,071 active members*
3,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > cut3D Slicing Model Fix

cut3D Slicing Model Fix

Using the Vetric cut3D model slicing feature to obtain a 3D part of say: 4" in height with only 1.25" material; I get 4 files to convert to g-code. The problem is that each file contains a -z axis move to the original model height of 4"; needless to say the bit is slammed into the table below the 1.25" limit of the material.
    Question, does replacing the (offending) max cut depth and setting the -z axis moves generated by the g-code to -1.25" (material thickness) instead of the -4" generated by the cam the easiest work-around to this code generating problem? Or, should it be set to z-0"
    My question stems from 'cutting air' with the bit above the table in a dry run, when it just slammed into the table surface. I just want to know which option: changing the -4" to either material thickness or z=0 will do the trick without changing the model.
    Sounds simple, but the x and y moves after the -z move has me wondering.

Thanks, Easydad

Hello Easydad,
    I don't have Cut3D but I do use Aspire and it has the slicing feature for models also. I think changing the Z values without redoing the toolpaths may not end up to be right. I think you may not have to change the model but you will need to change your input into the toolpath option boxes to perhaps put the Z starting value to the top of the material and then set the depths accordingly. I know setting the Z 0.0 to the table top is preferrable in some cases when there may be material thickness variations, but setting the Z zero to the top of the material might get you better results in this case. You have already tried the other option so it is an alternative. Does Cut3D have the toolpath simulation? If it does you should be able to see how it will work at that point without going to the machine. Good luck and I wish I could offer better suggestions.
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Hello Easydad,

Not sure why you are seeing this problem but if you can email the sliced files to support - at - vectric - dot - com we'll take a look and get back to you.

Tony