586,096 active members*
3,821 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Breakout Board, Driver and Power for nema23 - UK supplier?

Breakout Board, Driver and Power for nema23 - UK supplier?

Hi Guys

I`m new to CNC but have an X2 mill that I am attempting to convert. I have been doing lots of reading and some of it is sinking in but a lot of the electronics is way over my head - anyway, undetered I am plodding on.

I was given three nema23 motors: apparently they are 8 wire but the link says they only have 6!! - is this due to the wiring? http://web.archive.org/web/200503180...com/page3.html ...the first ones on that link. Apparently they have been wired bipolar parallel (and even the last hour of reading - I don`t fully understand what that means!)

As they were given to me, I am not grumbling and since my fignoggle CNC plans use Nema23 they seem a great choice at least to get it all setup. So after reading and reading... I have decided I would like Geko251 Driver and C10 breakout boards. But with the exchange rate, customs and postage time, I would prefer a UK source.

My questions:
    1. Why are the motors 8 wire yet the link is apparently the exact motor and only has 6?
    2. Is there a UK source for drivers suitable with these motors?
    3. Is there a UK source or USA electronics supplier who can build me a board or send me a personal "gift"?
    4. What would be a suitable power supply - ideally UK source but since I haven`t a clue what would be suitable I would appreciate any links.

Thanks for any help...

mnbylcr2

Those are 6-wire motors - I have three of them. They're nice motors, though the very smallest size I would use on an X2. Not really big enough for the Z axis, unless you run a pretty high reduction. As long as you use bipolar drivers (and you should not be considering anything else), it doesn't matter whether they are 4-wire, 6-wire otr 8-wire. They'll all work.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    Those are 6-wire motors - I have three of them. They're nice motors, though the very smallest size I would use on an X2. Not really big enough for the Z axis, unless you run a pretty high reduction. As long as you use bipolar drivers (and you should not be considering anything else), it doesn't matter whether they are 4-wire, 6-wire otr 8-wire. They'll all work.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Are you saying 270 oz-in isn't enough for a Z axis?
    My X2 CNC Brain Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61345
    Gecko G250 wiring errors: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68960

mnbylcr2,
    I'm not sure if there is a Gecko supplier in the UK. Certainly wasn't when I converted my X2 4 years ago. I wouldn't let that worry you, get the stuff from the US if you need to. The Gecko stuff is worth it, I wouldn't bother trying to save money by getting something less capable. My 4 G201s have run without a hitch for thousands of hours ever since I installed them.

Power Supply etc

Have a look at this eBay listing, it will start this evening 20:45 UK local..
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MESC:IT
    It should sell for minimal cost and you will have some fun!

or this...
    http://www.worldofcnc.com/main.asp?c...;26+Controller

Quote Originally Posted by mnbylcr2 View Post
    Hi Guys

I`m new to CNC but have an X2 mill that I am attempting to convert. I have been doing lots of reading and some of it is sinking in but a lot of the electronics is way over my head - anyway, undetered I am plodding on.

I was given three nema23 motors: apparently they are 8 wire but the link says they only have 6!! - is this due to the wiring? http://web.archive.org/web/200503180...com/page3.html ...the first ones on that link. Apparently they have been wired bipolar parallel (and even the last hour of reading - I don`t fully understand what that means!)

As they were given to me, I am not grumbling and since my fignoggle CNC plans use Nema23 they seem a great choice at least to get it all setup. So after reading and reading... I have decided I would like Geko251 Driver and C10 breakout boards. But with the exchange rate, customs and postage time, I would prefer a UK source.

My questions:
    1. Why are the motors 8 wire yet the link is apparently the exact motor and only has 6?
    2. Is there a UK source for drivers suitable with these motors?
    3. Is there a UK source or USA electronics supplier who can build me a board or send me a personal "gift"?
    4. What would be a suitable power supply - ideally UK source but since I haven`t a clue what would be suitable I would appreciate any links.

Thanks for any help...

mnbylcr2