586,103 active members*
3,226 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Does anyone here resurface there own Disc or Drum brakes?

Does anyone here resurface there own Disc or Drum brakes?

If so how do you do it, what do you use and do you get good results?

Quote Originally Posted by slashmaster View Post
    Most garages use special turning equipment that allows the discs to be turned on the vehicle, gives better runout. Drums are done on a drum lathe. It used to be that drums and rotors were very pricey, now a days you can get a rotor for $30-$50, most people just replace them now rather than turn them down. Hope this helps.

Did my own on an Engine Lathe twice with custom Tooling. Now just buy new ones every break change at 50,000 miles. They are pretty cheap these days with the exception of the pads. Ceramic and 4 wheel disk. Easy on and off though.

If in fact you do your own make sure you don't take too much off. Also check the TIR, Parallelism, and Flatness.

Your Arbor should be Ground and Indicated Dead in the chuck.

Honestly unless your driving an exotic import just buy new pads and disks.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Thanks guys, Just what are you guys driving that it only cost 30-50 bucks for disc and drums? I have a cadillac and it cost about 80 a drum and over 100 a disc. Also have a volvo and I think it was 300 for a disc and caliper.

Thanks guys, Just what are you guys driving that it only cost 30-50 bucks for disc and drums? I have a cadillac and it cost about 80 a drum and over 100 a disc. Also have a volvo and I think it was 300 for a disc and caliper.
    Providing that your getting the expected usage out of them, that is still not unreasonable for a Mechanic to charge.

Honestly I estimate maintenance costs before purchasing a new truck or car.
    Availability of parts and price.

Granted not all parts are cheap.

My Rear Pads on my Truck are $160 a set and the front pads are $80. The Rotors for the Rear are around $75 each and the Front are about the same. Total with doing it myself is $540 plus Tax and about 2 hours because I don't have a lift.

Trust me, your breaks are cheap.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

My Cadillacs had (4) 13" discs w/ceramic pads. I had a brake job @ about 65-70 K.
    First one had 140 K on it when some recently licensed 16 year old piled into the trunk and ended it's usable life. Second one drove like a mattress in a pool of oil; I like to feel the tar lines. I traded off the second one with 124 K on it.

Point is, don't drive with your left foot on the brake, right foot for whoa and go. You will get a lot more out of yor brakes.

Also, live in the boonies like I do, not as many stop signs. LOL

Dick Z
    DZASTR

I've turned my own rotors on several cars and they turned out fine. Just make sure you don't turn them under specification. I have a 12" lathe with back gear so I was able to slow it down nicley. I used a carbide bit and took light cuts. I also faced a flywheel for my CJ5 on the mill and it too worked nicely. Many said it wouldn't run right but it's smooth as silk.

Best Regards.

Carl