586,069 active members*
3,501 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z-Axis Brake? Huh?

Hi everyone,
    I'm a electrical noob so any help (or paper napkin sketches) in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

I've got a Linear actuator for my Z-axis which includes a 24v electromechanical brake on one end which I have no idea how to operate?...

I understand that it opens (unlocks) when powered and closes (locks) when unpowered - stopping the z-axis from dropping due to weight when powered off.

I have a DMM-Tech setup which is 48v from bob/driver/servo and Im a week away from getting my first machine running...or not if the Z wont move :wee:

Tanks

you need a power supply suitable for the size of the break

a circuit breaker also suitable for the size of the break

run the control end of the breaker into your estop loop

+ power to the breaker

from the breaker to the + break

the other end of the break to the - power side

if your in a rush use two 12v car batteries in series and a switch

don't forget to turn the switch on before powering the axis

Thankyou Thankyou holbieone you absolute legend!

I just drew up a sketch of your description (or my bad interpretation) .. can you please confirm its ok?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brake.jpg  

firstyear

The brake should have the power on when you first power up the machine, it should not be in the Estop circuit, the brake needs to have power on all the time or you will have trouble with your servo motor, if you don't need the brake it could be removed or made so it is not locking the linear slide ballscrew
    Mactec54

firstyear

when you power up the servo power supplies the brake should then have power on at the same time, you are up late
    Mactec54

Thanks Mactec54 - I'd like to keep the brake as Im planning on investing in a Doughtydrive b/c head at some point...Including a spindle thats approx 26lb on the Z axis; so any insurance a brake can provide would be much needed.

Would you recommend I power the 24v brake directly from a 24v powersupply connected to my main system on/off switch?

Hi Mactec54, we just crossed messages ..up late Yes!

Girlfriends in bed and I'm fretting over whether to pull the trigger and buy either the Teknomotor 31/40-C-DBS-P-ER20-0.7KW-24000RPM or the ER20 High speed spindle from Arc Euro Trade?

Priorities eek.
    Any suggestions/recommendations (on the spindle not the girlfriend)?

firstyear

Yes that is correct, most machining centers are wired that way, with all that weight
    it would be good to keep the brake for sure
    Mactec54

firstyear

I have not had anything to do with any of these spindles, But any of the Teknomotors I have seen & heard running are quite noisy,See if you can find a video of the Arc Eruo Trade motor running to compare, This Teknomotor video is a bigger
    spindle than you are looking at but this will give you some idea of one running

Teknomotor 1,6Kw + Hyundai N50.flv - YouTube

http://youtu.be/HJ2ekYT1c2E
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by firstyear View Post
    Thankyou Thankyou holbieone you absolute legend!

I just drew up a sketch of your description (or my bad interpretation) .. can you please confirm its ok?
    if your motor drives power up when estop is released this will work

the breaker looks like this :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails breaker.jpg  

Thanks so much guys, your helps really appreciated..

In fear of starting a war over which way works best - but mostly due to my lack of knowledge on things electrical; and fear electrocuting myself in a flaming ball...

I think I'm going to try and go the direct route and power the brake directly via an independent 24v power supply hooked up to my main on/off switch.

That way when I power on my setup the brake releases and vice versa.
    nice and simple

and flame free... i hope

When I get a bit more clued up I may try and get tricky by hooking it up to the e-stop, or another pin on the bob and control it through mach3?

Think I may end going with an Elte 1.1kw Spindle instead? just seem's to be more info/vids/people using them which can only be good

you need to make sure your drives are under power when the break is released or your axis could drift

I'm assuming you are using mach3 , check with them to see if mach3 can enable your drives when the estop is released

or

if you are using a breakout board look to see if you can connect the break relay to the axis enable pinout ?