586,108 active members*
2,995 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BOSS 5 Quill Jammed. Help!

I had a problem with my Z Home limit switch and the Quill crashed at full speed in the up position. Now it's jammed. Stepper still works fine with the belt off. Any Ideas? I can't be the first one with this problem.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerfries View Post
    I had a problem with my Z Home limit switch and the Quill crashed at full speed in the up position. Now it's jammed. Stepper still works fine with the belt off. Any Ideas? I can't be the first one with this problem.

Thanks!!
    If it is the same as MY btc-1, I just use a vise-grip or pie wrench on the motor pulley and pull towards you when standing in front of the machine.

I had it happen twice, and then found the problem. Once it is stuck, the motor doesn't have the torque to break free of the jam.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Thanks Mike! Your rotation direction info was helpful & correct for my machine and I was able to free it up. I had to hammer it to free it up, but it seems fine.

What did your problem turn out to be?

I'm using the Hillbilly BOB board & Mach 3. he Z Home light lights up in the software & on the BOB, so all of the wiring is correct. It must be a software setting that I've missed. Any ideas, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerfries View Post
    Thanks Mike! Your rotation direction info was helpful & correct for my machine and I was able to free it up. I had to hammer it to free it up, but it seems fine.

What did your problem turn out to be?

I'm using the Hillbilly BOB board & Mach 3. he Z Home light lights up in the software & on the BOB, so all of the wiring is correct. It must be a software setting that I've missed. Any ideas, thanks!
    Mine was a beta problem with my understanding the software and what was suppsoed to be in which file. The long and short was that there was not a following error, so when my early encoders glitches, the control box never stopped untill it hit the limit switch. The upper limit is so close to the top of the travel that even though the switch worked, it had enough inertia to jam.

Once I got the stuff all figured out, no more problems.

Nice to see it freed up.
    Mike

The original design had a decel switch. It was supposed to hit the decel .200 inches before the home switch and then creep up.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    The original design had a decel switch. It was supposed to hit the decel .200 inches before the home switch and then creep up.

George
    I have been looking at setting the slow zone in Mach3, but I have not had a problem with the machine in a while, probably because I have not run it in a week or 2.

The slow zone can be set and it works real nice when I tested it, but as I said, I need to set it up properly.

Mike

Mike,

When you get that slow zone all figured out. Please post it!!

I need to really take some time and read that Mach 3 manual. RTFM as they say. I have a lot to learn! More stupid newbe questions to come.

You guys live dangerously, setting up that machine, with those same servo amps, I shattered the bearing retainer, trashed the screw, lots of little half ball bearings.

That ballscrew cost me 1600 bucks, back when there was a bridgeport.

You is a lucky man