586,096 active members*
3,886 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Your best opensource package ?

Hi,

I'm a newbie in CNC but not in 3D ( working in digital special effects for movie ). I want to know what is your recommended/best opensource and free software package ( for all steps ... create 3D ( CAD ) , Create G-code ( CAM ) and control the CNC )

I purchase a cnc kit from hobbyCNC and i using Mach3 demo for now with Lazycam and/or CamBam. I'm searching for a solution in Windows or Linux.

Take a look at the machine controller EMC2

http://www.linuxcnc.org/
    http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl

EMC look pretty cool. Hard to understanding ? ( compare to Mach3 for example ). If i swith to a Linux methods, what is CAD and/or CAM softwares did you use. Because i think is a bit long to swith between Linux and Windows installed in dual boot if your CAD/CAM software is on windows. Same thing for TurboCNC in DOS.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroEvil View Post
    opensource and free software package
    Open source is a much larger idea than no $. I'm sure you're aware of this, but the distinction is important. Ruling out free proprietary software narrows the field considerably.

Samco gave you the answer for the control. I'm also an EMC2 user. There's no denying Mach3 is a true bargain at approx $149 however.

Open source 3D CAD is very limited. Open source 3D CAM is near non-existent afaik.

There is a discussion going on the emc-user-mailinglist on this topic currently. One user was having good results with Salome
    http://www.salome-platform.org/home/...tion/overview/

The CAM software recommended was FreeMill. FreeMill is not open source unfortunately.

On the topic of rebooting between operating systems: I don't. I run XP in VirtualBox. Files created in XP are simply moved to a shared folder.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Forgot to mention something

EMC look pretty cool. Hard to understanding ? ( compare to Mach3 for example ).
    The disk provided by linuxcnc can run live in ram, no need to install just to play around in simulation. If you have never used a livecd before, check it out. Cool stuff

Salome can run live on a dvd supplied by CAE linux. Not sure how well. 3D apps are a heavy thing to run in ram not to mention without the proper vidcard driver..

My budget is small ( i break my little pig just for buy the basic materials ) and for now is only for my personnal use.I just want have fun with my new HobbyCNC hardware. If i can help open source programmmers to discovers some bugs or whatever a can help with too. If i'm happy of my homemade CNC ( joecnc ou lgroe like with mdf ) , i probably considers to buy something ( it's true then Mach3 is a good deal. ) or give donation. Thanks for you suggestion , it's interresting !

If i understand for now i have this suggestion :

Control Programs:

• EMC2 ( linux , open source )

- CAD :
    • No suggestion

- CAM :
    • FreeMill (Windows , free , not opensource)

• Salome (Linux , open source)

Salome is a 3D CAD, not CAM. Free multi-axes CAM is missing under Linux
    at the moment, as far as I know. Couldn't find one so far.

Quote Originally Posted by lezdep View Post
    Salome is a 3D CAD, not CAM.
    Yes, sorry for not stating that more clearly.

Forgot to mention something else. Virtual machines like VirtualBox run a complete virtual operating system. Running Windows in VirtualBox includes the nuisance, and possible expense, of registration if I remember right. An alternative is running Windows apps directly (or is that indirectly?) in linux using something like WINE.

You might be interested in reading a bit of the emc-users-mailinglist archives. Gives a bit of a feel for the community around this project if nothing else. The CAD thread mentioned earlier is the BRL-CAD thread.
    http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.di...tions.emc.user

Funny I was the one who mentioned Salome and CAELinux on emc-users list
    I've subscribed around June, when I started my DIY-CNC retrofits for Sherline
    machines. I've been evaluating different free 3D CAD programs since 2006, I think.
    Now issue is with free CAM system. So far could not find decent one.

Someone try Cambam ?
    It's a good one ?

CAM wiki page on linuxcnc.org

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Cam

There are some dxf to gcode translators listed that might be helpful for simple tool paths.

Dan

Someone try Cambam ?
    It's a good one ?
    The demo of cambam-plus is a free download so nothing lost but time. Alibre Express might also be worth a look. I don't use either so take this for whatever it's worth.

If you haven't already guessed, you've fallen in with a rogue crowd. A direct result of posting in the open source forum.

lezdep

Not surprising you found this thread. Open source 3d cad is a small world
    Downloading Salome now. Thanks for the tip.

Cambam-plus looks able to do some 3d. Unfortunately the .net requirement probably rules out running in WINE ? Anyone got this working?

EDIT/ Winedb lists .net2 as gold. Cambam is listed as garbage from a wine install standpoint. Will be back.

To continue the monologue and tie up loose ends for anyone encountering this thread....

Freemill works fine in Wine.

CamBam installs in Wine but crashes immediately in use. Troubleshooting failed Wine apps is not like herding cats. It is in fact much worse.

CamBamPlus-beta9.4
    Wine 1.7.1

Salome is cool. Well worth a look.

Don't feel alone. I'm watching this thread as others probably too.

I have trial version of MeshCAM working under wine on Ubuntu. FreeMill failed
    to save toolpaths. Didn't try CamBam as I need full 3 axes support.

Salome is my 3D CAD of choice. And I think it's a very good CAD for the
    money. Couldn't find any other free 3D CAD as mature and with good UI.

Regarding free open source CAM - there are number or projects going on
    at the moment and probably good number of project died in the past. It seems that
    everyone is starting new project instead of getting behind existing one. It could
    be related to choice of technology or the fact that no project gathered critical mass
    yet. I initially though GCAM would be the most advanced one, and it also C based,
    which would be my language of choice. But after looking at their manual it seems to me
    GCAM is geared towards combining simple set of "primitive" operations into one "project". I'm not
    sure how 3 or more axis machining could fit into GUI and philosophy they have in
    place.

IMHO, it would be definitely worthwhile for other authors to describe and publish
    machining algorithms they have designed/implemented at some central location.
    Implementing them as portable C libraries would help others reuse existing ones,
    instead of re-inventing them.

PS: I'm going to start yet another thread and try to convince authors of existing
    projects to come together and contribute to one central location or project. We'll see
    if that would work this time

salome

On the subject of Salome- I have it installed here and have started using it a bit. Very impressive package. I think a new thread with some screen shots might inspire more people to try it :
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67803

Thanks,
    Dan

I think Salome and opencascade.org are very good platform to which open source
    CAM could be built into. I need to spend more time on understanding which
    technology/language is used and what part of opencascade can be useful for CAM
    plugin. In one hand CAM plugin integrated into Salome would be great, but it probably
    makes more sense to have CAM as standalone application and integrate it with
    Salome via scripts. I believe integration between Salome and other applications in
    CAELinux is in fact done via scripts.

There are at least 2 abandoned/dead CAM projects based on opencascade
    - http://olivier.coma.free.fr/opencasc...encascade.html
    - http://cam.occ.googlepages.com/home
    Actually second is based on first Let's see what can be used from those.
    It could be possible to integrate algorithms from current CAM projects into one
    application. That's why I said describing or even implementing those algorithms as
    C libraries could help a lot.

I gave GCAM more though and it appeared to me that 3 or more axis machining operations
    probably could be included as sub-tasks into GCAM project. For example - add roughing
    operation based on geometry imported from STL or IGES file, then add finishing operation
    based on same geometry. I'm going to throw this idea on GCAM forum and see what
    they think.

I have trial version of MeshCAM working under wine on Ubuntu. FreeMill failed
    to save toolpaths. Didn't try CamBam as I need full 3 axes support.
    FreeMill is working here with Ubuntu 8.0.4. Try posting using one of the examples included with FreeMill.
    If that works copy cad files to the phony c drive before opening.
    If the examples don't work, see my previous comment regarding "herding cats".

I think Salome and opencascade.org are very good platform to which open source
    CAM could be built into. I need to spend more time on understanding which
    technology/language is used and what part of opencascade can be useful for CAM
    plugin. In one hand CAM plugin integrated into Salome would be great, but it probably
    makes more sense to have CAM as standalone application and integrate it with
    Salome via scripts. I believe integration between Salome and other applications in
    CAELinux is in fact done via scripts.

There are at least 2 abandoned/dead CAM projects based on opencascade
    - http://olivier.coma.free.fr/opencasc...encascade.html
    - http://cam.occ.googlepages.com/home
    Actually second is based on first Let's see what can be used from those.
    It could be possible to integrate algorithms from current CAM projects into one
    application. That's why I said describing or even implementing those algorithms as
    C libraries could help a lot.

I gave GCAM more though and it appeared to me that 3 or more axis machining operations
    probably could be included as sub-tasks into GCAM project. For example - add roughing
    operation based on geometry imported from STL or IGES file, then add finishing operation
    based on same geometry. I'm going to throw this idea on GCAM forum and see what
    they think.
    I'm working on cam-occ once again. (I have lots of free time now, thanks to the economy. ) What I hope to do first is re-organize it so that it's easier for others to work with, and to provide some documentation and a sample to simplify the process. After that, I'm going to try to do some face analysis stuff.

By face analysis, I mean:
    *is this face part of a geometric primitive, i.e. cylinder/plane/cone/sphere
    *is it a radius or chamfer, a shape that can be created with a single pass of the right tool
    *if the face has a center or axis, are there other faces that have the same face/axis?
    *find adjacent faces
    *compare adjacent faces with this face - is the current face the bottom of a pocket?

When I first did cam-occ, I was trying to evolve the high-level stuff at the same time as the low-level stuff. Now, I'm just going to focus on the lower-level stuff. I won't start looking at things like OCAF, undo/redo, persistence, etc until the lower-level stuff is usefull and fairly complete.

BTW, a better url for cam-occ is http://code.google.com/p/cam-occ/

Mark

(edited for clarity, change url)

Page 1 of 2 12