586,103 active members*
3,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What CAD/CAM software are you using?

Hi to all. For the past year I have slowly been building my own CNC and still doing so whenever I have the chance. Now that I am nearing to conclude my work, I stared wondering what is the best possible combination of 3D design software with CAM software. Naturally one would propose to take up a single CAD/CAM package such as BOBCAD etc. but for some persons who have designed everything in 3D solid ever since they ventured into design field, such as me, find it difficult to switch over. On the other hand I do realise that it’s all a matter of opinion as well as one being more familiar (or feels more confident) with particular software than another and above all funding. Since I’m still venturing into this field with all this in mind, I’d like to have an idea of what software and type of driver cards the more experienced guys are using.
    I’ll be using Rutex driver cards and will be using Mach2 as CAM software as it seems to be most reliable from what I read here and there. Anyone using different CAM software with Rutex drives?

Thanks
    Marting
    Martin G

I'm using deskcnc with my servo system. It's a OK system the only thing I HATE is the mouse interface, their are no short cut keys. Ya is my tried and true controller software that always works with-out fail, UNLESS you do a drill cycle into a contour, than all you do is break bits, because after the last hole is drilled it pecks and agin as the machine makes a rapid move.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin
    I'm using deskcnc with my servo system. It's a OK system the only thing I HATE is the mouse interface, their are no short cut keys.
    What short cut keys do you need? Place the mouse focus anywhere but MDI or the program listing and then any underlined letter on a button is a hot key.

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.cadcamcadcam.com

That is the problem, you have to place the mouse over item to make them work. I want a buttons to work with-out the need to place my mouse cursor over them to make them work. In a dos based program everything is done with a press of a button. It's cumbersome using a mouse when the machine is running and you need stop or pause the machine.

That is the problem, you have to place the mouse over item to make them work. I want a buttons to work with-out the need to place my mouse cursor over them to make them work. In a dos based program everything is done with a press of a button. It's cumbersome using a mouse when the machine is running and you need stop or pause the machine.
    Mouse focus is not the same as placing the mouse over a button. Use the TAB key to see the focus change. Just get it out of the MDI or G-code editor (which are text entry boxes) and any hot key press will work. With Windows you are able to do multiple things from one screen, a program text entry/editor, a command line entry, pressing buttons, arrow keys to jog around. G-go, P-pause, E-estop, X-Y-Z-A to zero axis positions, etc.

You can also hardwire cycle start, feed hold, e-stop buttons that really will work at the press of a button.

Fred Smith - IMService

I'm using deskcnc with my servo system. It's a OK system the only thing I HATE is the mouse interface, their are no short cut keys. Ya is my tried and true controller software that always works with-out fail, UNLESS you do a drill cycle into a contour, than all you do is break bits, because after the last hole is drilled it pecks and agin as the machine makes a rapid move.
    Paul, I'm not sure if I understand you, but perhaps you have failed to program a G80 immediately after the drill cycle is completed? This is necessary to cancel the cycle motion.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I believe that is what I did do, i'll have to check, I don't use that program anymore, but it was a strange, bug.

Hi Paul, thanks for your in put, deskcnc seems to be a good software, not that I have the expeerience to tell but the fact that one can import STL files and just generate the cutting path is a hassel off your hands. I've also had a look at Deskproto which is very similar to it. I've also seen other affordable CAD/CAM software which also imports STL files and also has the option of checking the tool paths for gouging areas. I don't recall it's name but it's litterature is filled somewhere in the pile...probably I'll go for this one. The main thing that find most problematic and difficult to understand is to create a toolpath from a DXF file which is only a wireframe model. With STL solid or sufaces I understand that the cutter follows along the same surface but I assume that in DXF format one has to create that surface first. This may be elementary for most CNC users but would appreciate if someone could explain the concept of working with DXF files create a cutting path.

Are there other users who could throw in their feedback as regards to what software they are using?

Thanks
    Marting
    Martin G

Quote Originally Posted by marting
    The main thing that find most problematic and difficult to understand is to create a toolpath from a DXF file which is only a wireframe model. With STL solid or sufaces I understand that the cutter follows along the same surface but I assume that in DXF format one has to create that surface first. This may be elementary for most CNC users but would appreciate if someone could explain the concept of working with DXF files create a cutting path.
    With DXF, there are several options. The most used is the flat "paper" view of the part. With this view, parts machined with drills, flat, and/or chamfered cutters can be machined by specifying a depth and an "offset" from the drawn line that is equal to the radius of the cutter. This covers many machining operations, like holes, pocketing, contouring flat shapes, engraving, etc.

DXF also supports triangulated surfaces, but STL is more standardized and hence used most often for rapid prototyping and hobby surfaces. STL files represent a surface by approximating it with small triangular shaped surface patches. Programs that create toolpaths from stl files offset the surface by the toolradius of a ball end mill, or other 3D shape, rather than just the end or edge that is used with the flat DXF style of programming.

IGES and step are even better file formats for surface machining as they can define the surface mathmatically, rather than as approximations defined as triangular patches. This can result in a more accurate surface, with a smaller data set.

Fred Smith - IMService

marting,
    You siad you had lots of experience with 3d?? Can I have some of it?

Seriously, if you have a lot of 3d experience and are ready to purchase right now, Mecsoft has a Rhinocam Rhino3d combo for less than $1000 US. On the other hand if you are like me and need to wait for money there are several good packages that will import many different 3d files. Mecsoft sells one called VisualMill5, Fred sells one called Vector, OneCNC has one and Bobcad has their new version 20 that looks pretty good for the money. Rams Gold is another one and I am sure there are many more but all these but Bobcadcam is in the $1000 range. I am not sure what the BObcad could be bought for ????

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

There is no best software ! But you have to decide what you need software for.
    - design
    - programming
    - job control / documentation

I'm software user too, but depending when more or less I used and I will not recomend my software as best because if you master any software it will really work for you 100%.
    For advise: chose the one which get the result quickest because you need to make money not pay for computer time.
    And one more advise as representative to see how tey will handle one of your jobs on their software from start to end product !!!

HI guys,
    Fred thanks for the info! Very well explained concisely and precisely. I never new that DXF could be exported in surfaces as well, I always thought that these are only wire frames only!

Turmite, I can give you some of mine, how would you like it? Canned or bunches of 12 wrapped in paper?
    Apart from joking, realy there’s not much to it and am sure that you people know that most of the work is how to design the same thing in different ways with the same software so that in case one a command fails to function there’s another way out. The rest (geometry) is basically do’s and dont’s gathered from both experience and reading literature on materials which are normally downloaded from suppliers of metals, plastics etc. As regards to software thanks for the list, I’ll keep it in mind and yes I’m in the same boat as you are …… the green is still in the transfer process. Anyway since I haven’t yet finalized my CNC I ‘m not much in a hurry for the software.

Zoff, you’re right and I agree fully with you as regards to software and even the last advice – that’s what I’ll do when the time comes -- thanks very much. Actually what I am trying to do is see what most of CNC users have to say about their software, you know the good and the ugly side, so that not only I but all persons brousing through could have a good feel of how the software performs. Think of it like taking a test drive in a brand new car without having to spend the time driving around, well…….that is if you don’t like driving. That way we all save time!!

Thanks
    Martin G