586,058 active members*
4,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Anyone doing 5 axes?

I haven't seen any designs for a 5 axis table. I'm thinking something where the tool not only moves along the Z and Y axis but also can tips sideways and front and back.

My initial thoughts are some way to rotate the plate to which the router is attached but also be able to rotate the ganry arm to which the Z axis is attached.

I'm not sure if this is understandable so I'll try to describe the two extra axes a little better. Facing the gantry arm (the face of the gantry toward you) having the tool able to spin clockwise or counter clockwise to be able to reach the sides of the work but also have the face of the grantry itself be able to rotate forward or backward so the tool could get the front or back of the piece. Hopefully this makes sense.

The only thing this would miss would be the bottom of my piece.

Anyway, has anyone done this? Got pics? Any ideas for accomplishing this?

I'll add one more question to this list. What is the difference between a router and a mill? I know what a lathe is but I can't see a difference between a router and a mill.

Thanks,
    Brian

Did you search for 5 axis information on this site? There is a fair bit. Try this to start you off: http://www.cnc-toolkit.com/
    Here's some more reading:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=site:...&start=10&sa=N

My understanding of the difference between a router and a mill is that a router typically uses a higher speed spindle (like a wood router) and is designed to cut wood. A mill is typically designed to cut metal and is therefore a more massive machine for a given cutting size, has lower spindle speeds, and often has more resolution. Typically there are also physical design differences. Routers typically move the spindle over the work while mills typically move the work under the spindle. This is not always the case though.

You can find rotary axes and plans for a 5 or even 6 axis machine here:

http://www.doughtydrive.com/

Once you have a machine capable, you will need to find software to program the extra axes, and as of now, this is a very expensive proposition. Most affordable CAM packages are really 2.5D, or at best 3D, but rarely 4, 5 or even 6 axis capable. If you can get the GCode for them, Mach3 can run it, though.

I'll probably just stick with the 3 axis as these look pretty expensive and complicated to program. If I move from hobby to production I'll have to think about switching to 5 axes.

Thanks for the links.

Quote Originally Posted by jsheerin View Post
    My understanding of the difference between a router and a mill is that a router typically uses a higher speed spindle (like a wood router) and is designed to cut wood. A mill is typically designed to cut metal and is therefore a more massive machine for a given cutting size, has lower spindle speeds, and often has more resolution. Typically there are also physical design differences. Routers typically move the spindle over the work while mills typically move the work under the spindle. This is not always the case though.
    So it sounds like the primary difference is the machine head (speed and horsepower). That's the only thing I could identify also, though I was thinking power and not speed so thanks for making me think of that.

I had also thought about all the mills I've seen and in my experience most of them the tables move instead of the head (X and Y anyway). My guess is this is due to the size and weight of the more powerful head.

If I'm thinking of working mostly with aluminum do I really need all that horsepower? I wasn't thinking of using a Dremel, but I was thinking a heavier router. I'll be working with small pieces (1"x7"x5" or so) so I'm thinking a couple horsepower would be fine, though I probably need to find something with variable speed.

Thanks,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Pukwudji View Post
    I'll add one more question to this list. What is the difference between a router and a mill?
    This is the only thing I'll comment on since it's the only thing I know.

As far as I've read/seen there really isn't a set definition of "this is a router" and "this is a mill". But, I would say that for all intents and purposes the main difference is how the machines move in the X and Y dimensions. "Routers" move the spindle and "mills" move the bed.

Possibly a bad analogy would be...
    "Routers" are like drawing on a piece of paper: the paper stays put and the pencil moves around.
    "Mills" are like laser printers: the roller things* stay in one place and the paper moves from one end to the other.

* I don't know what they're called