586,409 active members*
3,116 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

General inquirey

Just curious.

Is it just me or is autonesting software not all its cracked up to be? If I spend a little time manually nesting the parts, I can usually acheive better untilization than the software.......

Ahhhh! You just uncovered "Dirty Little Secret" #5.

This is true for low end nesting software. When you get to the more elaborate software offerings which are typically $9K+ they are very good at maximizing plate utilization and give you the ability to nest hundreds or thousands of parts at once while also providing lots of flexibility in how you control the torch motion.

Like most things...you get what you pay for.

I was thinking of buying a nesting program in the future, but i have gotten pretty good at nesting manually in Corel so i doubt i will, i like to cut a entire sheet up once its on the table instead of leaving half or quarter laying around so i fill in where i can. If i am nesting 20 parts on a 4x8 sheet, i'll take a area like 2x2 or 2x4 feet and nest all the parts in that, then copy and paste it a few times, flip it or turn it to fit it in, saves me alot of time.:banana:

EDD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1755.jpg  

I guess if you do several different shapes to the same sheet. Then if the shapes are entirely different next time you cut the same thickness sheet. You might make a high end nesting program pay.

I thought I really needed nesting. So much so I let BobCAD unload their version on me. (total waste for my use).

I pretty much cut the same profiles over & over (production shop) So once I have Nested parts manually with Sheetcam & saved the sheet as a job file. A very few mouse clicks & the table is at work.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!