586,655 active members*
3,441 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Please help, 8-wire stepper connections

Please help, 8-wire stepper connections

Something bad happened.... something I have learned a valuable lesson from:

I'm running some 6-wire steppers, 2-phase. Well, the cable and terminal board inside the stepper was ummmmm, accidently detached. Yea, we’ll leave it at that.

I pulled the back off the stepper, fished the tiny copper wires back out and soldered a wire on to each one. There’s eight wires. I checked my other steppers and it looks like there are eight wires, for four coils. The coils are paired by joining one wire from each. I believe this is referred to as center tapped, but regardless I should have six wires coming out.

I run through the eight wires with my ohm meter and paired them off. Now I have four pairs of wires, one for each coil.

I used a battery on each pair to get all the correct polarities….. All running clockwise.

Inside the stepper, there are eight poles or coil pairs. I was able to determine which pole or coil pair went to which wires with an ohmmeter.

I tried various combinations of wiring to my controller, but of course never found the right one.

Can anyone help? PLEASE?
    Look at the diagram I made. I tried to use the step sequence to figure it out, but it’s not working for me. Can anyone tell me which of the numbered poles or coils should be paired???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stepper diag.jpg  

The image on the left here is the schematic representation of what I have now. Eight wires paired off into four coils.

The image on the right.... may not be represented properly, but is the schematic representation of what I want.

Man, that was really dumb. Be assured, I have taken steps to prevent this from happening again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stepper schem.jpg  

Spiral_72,

This may help.

Jeff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wiring-diagram-vexta.jpg  
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Spiral_72,

This is a good read.

http://tinyurl.com/pra67p

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Thank you, but don't have any wire colors.... Well I USED too, but since I've fished all the little red copper wires out of the motor and soldered new wires on, wire colors don't mean a thing

That 8-lead Unipolar connection diagram is what I'm trying to do though. At least now you give me the correct words to use!

Spiral_72

Just connect two pair together and the second two pair together test and if the motor does not work right switch one of the pair with one of the other pair until the motor works correctly.

It wont take more than a few minutes and you will be up and running.

Jeff...

Spiral_72

Read this tutorial it will explain how to determine the correct wiring.

http://www.stepperworld.com/Tutorial...arTutorial.htm

Jeff...

Quote Originally Posted by pminmo View Post
    To find the phase pairs use an ohm meter and ring continuity. To find phase polarity, tape a tooth pick or some long stiff piece and tape it to the shaft to "magnify" the rotation. The take a D cell and connect a phase noting which way the step happens,clockwise or counterclockwise. Keep track so that you can determine whch lead connected to the + of the D cell makes it rotate the same direction. At the end you should be able to mark eah color pair belong to a phase, and which of the colors of the pair make it travel a certain direction. Thats enough to get you started so you can hook up a driver and determine the final pairing.
    From the thread where you were dogging the guy about his nice ruler:banana:
    (need help ID 8 wires post #2)

Sigh.

Oh, brother.

I really don't want to buy a new stepper. This is stupid. Actually not making a strain relief on my steppers was stupid...... what I'm having to do now is insane.

(chair)