586,356 active members*
3,003 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

controller card

Is the following card suitable for a medium sized machine say 32" x 59". will it be able to run the large enough motors. Also do i need anything else other than the three motors if i got this item???

Delagrange Technology LLC. offers the following superior crafted item:

4 AXIS 10 AMP STEPPER MOTOR DRIVE BOARD

(4XCNC10B)

This board has improved heat dissipation and easy DB25 connector computer hook-up
    Built to handle up to 10 amps max per phase per motor
    Unlike some competitors, 10 amps of constant current can pass through each output
    Maximum voltage on the board outputs is 50 volts
    This board requires a 5 volt DC filtered and regulated power supply
    Board design is for unipolar stepper motors only
    ADDITIONAL NOTES:

A fan blowing on the output hexfets is required if board is running 5 amps or more per phase
    Board is fully compatable with Master 5, Mach 1, Mach 2, or CNC Pro
    Has 4 home switches, one for each axis and infinite limit switches, and an e-stop switch
    Has 4 onboard relays that can be turned on and off with the computer software for spindle, coolant pump, drive enable
    Relays rated for 10 amps at 125 vac
    Board comes with 4 programmed chips, one for each axis-no more confusing dip switches-your choice of chips in half-step, two phase (single step), or wave drive (single step), please make sure to specify which step sequence chip you want for each axis.

Which of the above chips is better???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 73_1_b.jpg   f5_1.jpg  

In my experience, full stepping a stepper motor is bad news unless you plan on going very slow. After a certain speed my motors would resonate and loose steps. This happened at around 17 IPM on my particular motors. I don't know how commom this is, but for me it wasn't acceptable so I built some 1/8 microstepping drivers. My worst axis was ballscrew driven, 17 IPM. The microstepping driver got me to 100 IPM at 65% power, on that same axis.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but may be worth thinking about.

Regards Terry.....

I forgot to say. That board you're looking at. Does it have PWM for current controll, or do you need limiting resistors.

A PWM chopper will also improve motor performance.

Regards Terry.....

You need to know what motors you are going to use, this board will only support a unipolar motor. If you plan on using a power supply voltage higher than your stepper motor rated voltage you will have to use power resistors or some external method of current limiting. It is a very simple board, I suspect it uses either an pic or avr to do the step sequencing.

Phil
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

The 4XCNC10B is capable of driving very large machines like Bridgeport mills 4x8 wood routers ETC... Its only limitation is 10 amp motors so if you can move a machine with a motor and it is 10 amps or less you can do it with a 4XCNC10B. The feed rate you get will depend on the motor torque the machine and the screw thread you are using. I have a mid size harbor freight mill i converted to cnc with a 4XCNC10B running 1/2 step. It has 5 tpi ball screws I am getting around 45 IPM no problem and the motors are undersized and only running at 13.8 volts. I am sure I could get alot more if I wanted. It is just a matter of setting it up right. I offer free tech help on my products if you need help e-mail or call me:

David Delagrange, Owner
    Delagrange Technology LLC
    4024 Fairfield Avenue
    Fort Wayne, IN 46807

Phone: (260) 557-9280
    Hours: Monday-Friday, 5:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m.
    E-mail: [email protected]
    http://www.dtllc.com