I've decided to use im804 drives, i'm just need ing some help deter ining the best settings. I recently had gecko201's , whichwere 10 steps, but these new drive off different resolutio settings and come preset at 32 steps . we figured that my motors must be .9 degree so with the gecko's i was using 400 x 10 x 2.54 ( 10mm ball screw lead)
If i set these new drives at 32 steps will i have to change mym pulse in mach3 upto 35000 htz

Will i lose or gain anyhting by changing the resolution, meaning will i sacrifice speed for a btter resolution or will it be noticable?

Another thing, these drive offer an option to reduce the output currrent when the motor is stopped or paused to help with the cooling.

I see the formula that they are using, however, I haven't determine exactly what they mean by holding current.

The fomula is like this to calculate the value of the resistor connected accross the current reduction terrminal.

500 x peak running current x hold current / peak running current - hold current = the resistor value

i already know my peak output current , which i beleive is the rating per phase on my motors
All help greatly appreciated