587,424 active members*
3,552 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > Yet another DIY Injection Molding Thread

Yet another DIY Injection Molding Thread

Hi,
    I was crusing down the infohighway looking for DIY IM when I saw your site and pulled in to have a look. CNC Forum is outstanding - it would seem this is the place to discuss his topic.

My project is reproducing plastic trim parts for antique outboard motors. Antique....most of these were made well after I was so that's a hard term to use :~)

These parts are mostly clear plastic - I've been steered toward Polycarbonate - which are vacuum plated from behind. Most are less than 3/8" thick but can be as much as 4 x 10". The majority are smaller though. My initial project is 3" round and 1" thick at the top - it tapers. Demand is ..... small. This first part would be an overall run of about 100 pieces.

This leads me to believe that I need to be using epoxy molds as aluminum tooling would be waaay cost prohibitive.

I'm looking for direction on benchtop machines - techniques - methods - incantations - spells - whatever I can get :~)

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Peter
    in Denver
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 107_2361.jpg   107_2366.jpg   107_2362.jpg  

I would look in to a silicon mold and clear casting resin