586,069 active members*
3,425 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > software for picture engraving

software for picture engraving

is out there a software that would convert a bitmap into dots that would represent shades, so i can engrave it on a brass with diamond tip ?

i've tried photo vcarve, but it makes series of lines with different Z heights, but i think just a bunch of simple dots should give better results.

Start with a paint program like PSP or Gimp. Convert the picture to a halftone "your dots". Then use Inkscape to convert it to vectors. Then engrave away.

I've found a solution that works quite well ...

after creating halftone picture i've found a simple converted that for every "dot" in bitmap define a point in gcode, and if there is row of dot's it connect them in a line, so there is no constant moving Z axis if there is completely black area.

software is
    BMP To Din G-Code Converter
    http://www.majosoft.com/engraving/ht...are_tools.html

I suggest engraving with hammer type engraver or laser for this type of engraving. Hammer type engravers have own software and for laser you can use PhotoGrave.

Quote Originally Posted by turpija View Post

after creating halftone picture i've found a simple converted that for every "dot" in bitmap define a point in gcode, and if there is row of dot's it connect them in a line, so there is no constant moving Z axis if there is completely black area.

software is
    This looks very helpfull. I'm interested and I'll try ASAP.
    I want to say that it would be handy if, before creating the Gcode file, you get rid of anything that may not be relevant to the pic on its background. That would help with the size of the resulting file, which is going to be a positive element to the number of lines to be engraved, the time consuming factor and everything else.

Hi,

U-Marq machines have a photo engraving program that does exactly what you are looking for. It has the ability to mask out any background and then change your photo to a gray scale image, or "dots" in your case. If you are doing a lot of this engraving, U-Marq machines are the fastest on the market and are a relatively low cost. You should have a look at www.u-marqusa.com for more information, any of the machines have the ability to engrave photographs. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Ofcourse theres always free online tools (i.e. not installed software).

http://www.tea-with.me.uk/index.php?cid=451

dc

Inkscape will let you create halftone images very easy.

It's slow but works great, it's free, & can export as a .eps file.

I attached 2 images below, I did this in Inkscape 0.46
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leaf2.PNG   leaf1.PNG  
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

software is
    Have you tried engraving with this yet? I was wondering how it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by bjm323 View Post
    Have you tried engraving with this yet? I was wondering how it came out.
    Yes, I have.

This is what i started with ...

then convert it into halftone/duotone/mono or whatever it is called...

and ended with this...

material is brass with mirror finish and is coated with transparent lacquer
    and engraving is done with diamond tip, after i used oxidizer to get nice contrast.
    engraved image is 35x35mm, and distance between "pixels" is (i think) 0,2mm

overall, i'd say it turned out quite nice !

Very nice turpija. You have a PM

Our company developed a new software which could transform 2D photos into 2.5D, it looks like 3D from the frond side. No limit of time, space, location, distance etc. This software is developed this year and unique in the world recently. Because of this technology, our 2D engraving effect is excellent in the world.

If somebody interested in this software, please send email to [email protected], and i will send a file to you, you can engrave by your own machine or send a sample to you instead.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dlasermachine View Post
    Our company developed a new software which could transform 2D photos into 2.5D, it looks like 3D from the frond side. No limit of time, space, location, distance etc. This software is developed this year and unique in the world recently. Because of this technology, our 2D engraving effect is excellent in the world.

If somebody interested in this software, please send email to [email protected], and i will send a file to you, you can engrave by your own machine or send a sample to you instead.
    why don't you present your software here, with some pictures perhaps ?

Photos of 2D-2.5D software

why don't you present your software here, with some pictures perhaps ?
    Please check the photos
    1. Original photo
    2. After Caculate dots
    3. 2.5D effect
    4. A part of 2.5D effect after enlarge
    5. engraved crystal

Because the crystal is transparent, so it is hard to check the 2.5D effect by photo, but it still can show the 2.5D effect is more definition than common 2D effect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails liangren.jpg   未命名.jpg   未命名3.jpg   未命名4.jpg  

LD-RE-049.jpg  

If your using a Laser Engraver, i personally use PhotoGrav which is specifically made for that. So far it works perfectly well and it is one of the most common used software. i'll post some pictures later on, since i dont have any right here.

This is my sample photo.
    I design it at Photoshop, then use laser cut 5.3
    The design quality and laser tube's quality is important too, if i use USA RF tube, it will be better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP1794.jpg   IMGP1793.jpg