586,077 active members*
3,711 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Turbo CNC Not Running.... Setup?

Hello. I have gotten to the point in my CNC machine build that I am now trying to make my first part. The problem I am having is getting TurboCNC to talk to my machine. I have run test software that came with my SP3 stepper motors and circuit board setup from Stepperworld and everything runs from the test software but when I try to just jog the stepper motors using TurboCNC nothing happens. What is the correct setup that I should use to make TurboCNC run? I have checked the paralllel port setting (378H) on my test software and that is what is set up in TurboCNC and have found some information concerning the setup of the pin #'s but am not sure this is correct. The info I have found is that for DB25 pin #'s "X" has step pin at 2 and dir pin at 3. "y" has step pin at 4 and dir pin at 5. "Z" has step pin 6 and dir pin at 7. This is what I have set on TurboCNC but am not sure if this was the correct thing to do or not. Either way I am not able to get TurboCNC to make anything work. If you guys out here at the CNCZone use TurboCNC please let me know what I am doing right or wrong. I'd like to start cutting parts before I go completely nuts just trying to figure out how to make this software run. Thanks, Dave

Dave,
    Ok, you have it working from the test software (which I am not familar with), so we know the board is working.
    You idicate the you found the pin settings "somewhere". WHERE? If you can figure out what pin settings the test software used, you can set up Turbocnc to follow the SAME settings.
    It sounds like "somewhere" may not be the settings the test software is using OR you have the sense direction incorrect. But first, you must find out what the actual settings are that ARE working.

Don't dispair, it will fall into place quickly.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

I think you have to set up the enable lines. On the stepperworld website, under software, at the bottom of the page, is the pin settings for KCAM. These should get you going in the right direction. I'm pretty sure it's the enable pins your not setting.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Turbo CNC info from this forum

Bubba,
    Here is the info I found on this forum concerning setting up TurboCNC.. Like I said I'm not sure this was the right info I needed. I have contacted Stepperworld to get the pin setup used in my test software so hopefully that will give me a clue as to getting TurboCNC running. Below you will find the information I found here. Dave

Hi Naval,
    All the electronic and computer talk tends to get in the way of simple 1-10 set up instructions but in reality set up is fairly easy.
    1. Take your floppy with TCNC on it and put it in the computer
    2. Copy the files to directory C:\windows (Or if DOS starts up with the "C:\" then copy the files to the "C" directory)
    3. Open TCNC up
    4. Go to setup options (key #6)
    5. Press "set up axis" (#1)
    6. Enter "3" for axis
    7. It will take you back to setup
    8. Go to "axis setup"
    9. Count the number of threads/inch on your machine
    10. multipy that number by the number of steps your stepper does per rotation and take the reciprocal of it ( 1/x) and that is your in/step
    11. For DB25 pin #'s "x" has step pin 2 dir pin 3
    12. "y" has step pin 4 dir pin 5
    13. "z" has step pin 6 dir pin 7
    14. You don't need to worry about the rest of the pin#'s unless you have coolant or a spindle you would like to control
    15. Try "jogging" the machine
    16. If x,y or z goes in (+) direction when you say for example "send to position 3" and it goes to position -3 then you need to go back to the axis setup and press key#9 to toggle "low/high is positive/negative"

Good luck,
    Tei

The Step and direction pin outs you mention are as close to "standard" as you get, but don't neccessarily apply to your machine. If you wired it yourself you would know which pins are what.
    Regards,
    Mark