I am 20, pretty fresh out of machining school going for my Mech Engineering degree. I snagged a 1982 KMB-1 and 13x40 MSC lathe from a company for $500 ea (+$1400 for rigging :/) and they now sit proudly in my garage powered by a very quiet 7.5HP "CNC Rated" rotary phase converter. Only the KMB-1 is a 4000 paper weight because I don't have any tapes for it and am not sure what to do with it yet.

I cant figure out how to make it go home to even check if its all working. I think I need the master tapes but I don't have any tapes for it.

My question are:
Should I simply get a tape emulator and if so can the tape emulator supplier supply me with the default tapes?
Should I try to get the master tapes first to see if the thing works? Anyone wanna loan/sell me the master tapes?

I run a business so I've pretty much sunk 3500-4000 or so into these machines so far to only have a working and very basically tooled lathe which I am certainly not making money with as I am a sales company, not a machine shop. (But I am addicted to tools. I have a better garage than everyone I know and I bought it all myself.) I could really get cool stuff made (and maybe make $$) if I had the mill going.