586,275 active members*
3,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > Cold drawn material for Swiss type machines?

Cold drawn material for Swiss type machines?

I know I have see ads from suppliers who supply cold drawn material in tolerances compatible with Swiss type machines. I have also seen them at Eastec. However, I can't locate my information about who they are. Can anyone help me out with this? I am interested in 303 SS.

schmolz-bickenbach SMQ material

Try this

HTH
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ProProcess View Post
    Try this

HTH
    Good luck!
    I agree, we but a lot from them, and are quite happy with the results!
    www.atmswiss.com

I'd been in Swiss turning for over 16 years before moving to another type of job. Once we started using Ugitech stainless steels (primarily their 303XL), the Cincinnati centerless grinder collected dust. Great stuff!

I'm thinking I can remember running a 303 job with cold drawn material that worked better than ground stock.

It was the regular sort of pitted looking cold drawn and if you sorted the size carefully it would run the job at 170 SFM.

Switching back to ground material would run at 120 to 140 SFM.

I think the scale on the cold drawn sort of helped the bushing stay clean. The ground stuff wanted to seize and had plenty of nice fresh surface to do it with.

Quote Originally Posted by CarsonD View Post
    I'm thinking I can remember running a 303 job with cold drawn material that worked better than ground stock.

It was the regular sort of pitted looking cold drawn and if you sorted the size carefully it would run the job at 170 SFM.

Switching back to ground material would run at 120 to 140 SFM.

I think the scale on the cold drawn sort of helped the bushing stay clean. The ground stuff wanted to seize and had plenty of nice fresh surface to do it with.
    Wow....S_L_O_W....compared to what I ran with cold-rolled Ugima 303XL! In fact, I ran their 316L at more than 2x that with the right carbide. I used to run their 303 at 600 to 850 sfm. (I'm out of screw machines now though, so I haven't run it in about 2 years.) Ugima 303XL also comes in looking smoother than much of the ground stock I ran.

Of course, I was running machines with rotary guide bushings, not static. Back when I ran those, I was at speeds similar to what you run. BIG difference in productivity when you can run the higher speeds.