586,731 active members*
2,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > CNC88HS file loading question

CNC88HS file loading question

Well we loaded our first file from a BobCAD created toolpath. BobCAD came with Predator CNC Editor for Bobcad, and it was pretty simple to load the file into the control...

However here is the issue we had.... The first try worked, but on the CNC88 screen there was a bunch of gibberish as the file was loading.... being the first time, we thought nothing of it... well after it completed, the program was nowhere to be found... So we checked and had to set the parity and baud on the PC, and re did the file transfer...

This time we could see the code on the CNC88 monitor as it loaded.... However we quickly ran out of memory...

There are no other programs in the machine, but this time it only transferred about 1200 lines...

My question is - did the first file that we messed up get loaded into the machine somewhere? We are not able to see it under the programs, but maybe since the file transfer was incorrect there is a bunch of junk hogging space??

Or - is it that the CNC88HS can only have a few thousand lines of code? The NC file we loaded was about 52,000 lines of code....is this an abnormally huge file? It is a fairly simple part - just a few holes being hogged out, and some drill/tap routines...

Thanks!!

More than likely, if you dont have any programs in the machine clear it again then run a defrag.

the reason for jiberish is do to the machine not in sync with the software.

check the settings on the buad rate and stuff on the fadal and then make your software match.

Fadal's have a standard memory capacity of 40k. You will need to get expanded memory or DNC your program.

52,000 is way to big for something simple or even simple 3-d.

yup
    You need to clear the memory.
    If you are on the 40K mem and have done a clear - you should be able to get 3000 to 4000 lines in.
    I upgraded to 422K(?) and can get about 35000 in.
    Otherwise you MUST DNC
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Is it possible that a 88HS will not 'drip feed' ?

I have tried at least 3 different programs, and this machine will not 'drip feed' from the laptop to the controller.

It sends files that fit in memory 100% fine. I can get files from the CNC fine.

Upon starting DNC command at the ‘command prompt’ .. it is in waiting mode.. I hit start..

I then start the cnc connect transmit, and it starts fine.

It stops at N320 every time. ( nothing is wrong with this line )

EVEN Fadal cnc-dnc does the same thing. Same line number stops.. N320…

OK, so I just send the file and it is too big for my memory, and it stops at N4750 … no problem.. I run the program to N4750 and then go into the file and edit out from N270 to N4740… start the load file again and it runs out of memory at N15500… no problem, run the program on the part and go into the file and edit out N15510 to N23300…. And on and on and I cut my part out just fine.. takes forever..

So, it is not the program. It is created in Mastercam X3…

My machine is a Fadal VMC15.. this machine is about a 1994 with updated cards to only 1995 late version. I think they call them G cards. Maybe drip feed is not capable?

What do you think ?

get ahold of calmotion and buy the box that hooks to the rs232 port at the rear of the machine you load the program to a thumb drive insert it into the port that comes with the kit type cd,10 enter then type dnc,file name .nc hit start on machine it is truley that simple i have it on two vmc 15 and 15xt both 88hs controls the kit is like 550.00 dollars the best money you can spend on a fadal you are only limited by the size of the thumb drive 1 gig at wally world 5 bucks

yes, I have looked at that device many times in the last year... However, look at my problem.

I have a laptop plugged into the RS232 port. My laptop cannot drip feed based on what I fear is a Rs232 control board problem, or my machine does not have the processor type to do drip feed.

The VMC15 has always been a little different. I emailed to Neal, but he has an out of office and will not return until June 22... I have a 150k line program that I will have to break up in many sections to get it to all run it looks like.

I would spend the $550 if I know that the calmotion did not relay on the same thing my laptop does.. Put machine in DNC and wait on feed. My laptop is connecting and sending and recieving files fine.

Just to follow up on my issue... I am not the OP either.. so he may be still needing help here.

My problem was a cable. I read the communications section of these PDF's http://www.compumachine.com/Support/DL-Fadal.htm

I saw that the cable pin out from the DB25 to the DB 9, and i used a DMM to ring out the wires. I had a bad wire pin / wire.. I built my own cable from the schematics on the communications page. My DNC drips 100% now.

What was so confusing about the cable being a problem was..

I could send a file with no problem. DTE > VMC

This symptom here> I put it in DNC and it would recieve infomation too a certain line and just stop taking data... this one threw me. I would think if DNC is going to work it will work or flat not work. It tried to work however.

I never tried to recieve a file however, and this would not work today when I tried it. VMC > DTE ... So, I was thinking.. humm, maybe cable problems.

I have tried to drip feed before in the past and it did not work, so I knew when I started working on this issue again last week, I was going to find the problem this time, or replace the machine. ( Cheaper to replace than upgrade boards )

So, be careful you have a really good and configured null modem type cable, or build one per the schematics on the communications PDF.

http://www.fastfieros.com/projects