586,576 active members*
3,571 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > How to wire E-Stop Buttons and Limit Switches which Pin in Printer Port

How to wire E-Stop Buttons and Limit Switches which Pin in Printer Port

How can I wire E-Stop Buttons and Limit Switches to Printer Port which pin number will I connect wires into? Anyone who has wiring diagrams for me to follow? Thanks

Wiring E-Stop and Limit Switches to Printer Port

Well, Sorry it is not that simple

In order to wire Limit switches on a machine via the parallel printer port, one has to address a couple of items.

1. It depends upon the type program that you are using to control your machine. Examples: Mach 3, Turbocnc, or one of the many others.

The various programs on the market provide the built in code interfaces allowing communications via the Parallel printer port. On some programs the pin numbers utilized are programmable, on others the pin numbers may be fixed. Anyway, the set-up for Limit switches and home switches are done thru your control program software. If you choose your own pinout in software, just be advised that some pin numbers cannot be used as both inputs and outputs and may not work properly. Also some of these programs allow a software E-stop.

2. A hardware E-stop is the only way that assures that the machine will stop every time. It is wired with the e-stop pushbutton being a normally closed switch. When it is pressed, the circuit is opened, killing power to some or all of the machine electrical power. It does NOT allow the operator to continue on with a completion of the task that was started, in many cases, especially if machining a part, without starting over from the beginning. What part of the equipment motion that is stopped depends upon the design function and wiring of the E-Stop power circuitry.

Hope this helps you understand the process a little better. I will attempt to attach some wiring diagrams for the standarized parallel port pinouts used by most of the control software programs. The diagrams are for a breakout board which is no longer manufactured, but almost all breakout boards use the same pinouts and have identical functions as this one.

Jerry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AXXIS LIMIT- HOME SW WIRING.jpg   AXXIS OUTPUTS.jpg   GECKO HOOKUP  AXXIS COM INTERFACE BD.jpg   generic stepping mtr interface AXXIS COM.jpg  

The display of the drawings on this site, does not meet my expectations for quality, compared to the drawings I uploaded.

If these drawings appear useful to you, and you require better quality in the drawings, then send me a private e-mail through the site, and I will e-mail you some good quality drawings.
    Jerry

Smile

Thank you CJL5585, im using Mach3 by the way will this drawing can be used in Mach3 settings as well? Maybe soon I will be using EMC2, would the wiring be the same just in case I switch to EMC2?

Quote Originally Posted by guy2b1 View Post
    Thank you CJL5585, im using Mach3 by the way will this drawing can be used in Mach3 settings as well? Maybe soon I will be using EMC2, would the wiring be the same just in case I switch to EMC2?
    I have heard about EMC2, but am not familiar with it. The wiring should be almost identical with either one of the systems.

thank you, will follow your drawing to create my e-stop button and soon the home and limit switches

Using MACH 3 in a single parallel port [port1] you have a total of 5 inputs available. They have to use pins 10, 11, 12, 13 and 15. Normally software e-stop is pin 10 (one input). 3 axis of homes eat up 3 more and leave you with one for all the limits. The only way to get more inputs is to add a second port card or use a Breakout Board that had the Port Expander option like our UBOB product. Don't be surprised if you have a lot of false signals on the inputs if they are directly connected to the parallel port inputs.

TOM Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

noted, thank you torchhead