586,104 active members*
3,226 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > Need Help With CHNC Collet Closer

Need Help With CHNC Collet Closer

I bought an old CHNC with no control on it two weeks ago. Spent about a week worth of work on it ( thanks to company furlough). I replaced the servos with steppers and also replaced the spindle motor with a Hanning 220V 2kW motor. I also replaced the old spindle feedback with a spindle index pulse assembly the way MACH3 likes it. I did my initial testing with with a G540 since its so darn simple and was running both axes at 120 IPM with a 48V supply.

I then started the task of getting the collet closer running (vari-grip type). I haven't working with something like this before and was wondering if anybody had a manual or instructions on the collet installation and removal process on a CHCNC hardinge lathe?

Thanks,

Daniel

the collet closer is fairly easy to use. there are four bolts on the collet closer (spindle side) that need to be loosened, once these are loose the closer can spin free of the spindle. this rotating motion will turn the drawbar and cinch up your collet. the varigrip assembly allows adjustment for collet use vs chuck use. personally i leave mine with the rings spread fully apart giving me 3/8 travel on the closer. also i don't let collets close with nothing in them.