586,096 active members*
3,675 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EMCO Compact 5 CNC tuning.

2 days ago I bought one of these machines. It had quite a bit of apron rattle and the ball screws had a bit of backlash.

To fix the ballscrews, first clean them by running a good amount of very thin oil through them. Don't use WD40! To do that, first take out the screw that locks the preload setting. It's the one in the upper left corner on this picture.

After that you just turn the ballnut to bring it out of it's mounting block. But be very careful not to screw it out past the end of the screw! This nut cannot be opened and closed for putting the balls back in. The ball return tube cannot be taken out and put back in as you can see here:

Apply the oil to the screw between the nuts and run the nut up over it. Then clean the screw thorougly for oil behind it before running the nut back for a repeat treatment. Continue until the oil is absolutely clean and free from debris. (Use a magnifier/microscope).
    Then clean all oil off as best you can, and apply a good amount of grease to the screw between the nuts and run the nuts over the grease. Do this 2-3 times. I use a Lithium Soap Grease for this. To set the preload, turn the nut into the block until the nut/block assembly runs with a good amount of resistance. Run it back and forth a couple of times, then loosen it again until it has just enough resistance that you can feel that there is some preload. Not too much, or it will wear faster. If you can feel uneven running, either you have debris in it, or the preload is much too high. This is how the Z screw looks when done:

For those of you who know the non-CNC Compact5 you probably can that the cast iron apron is quite a bit sturdier than the manual machine counterpart.

The slop in the apron is easily taken care of by just flipping the plastic strips that bear against the downward facing part of the bed slides. This can be done 3 times before you need to get new plastic strips. Sorry I have no picture(s) of this. It was just too dirty to handle the camera. To get at these, loosen the machine from the tray by taking out 2 small and 2 larger screws. Be very careful not to damage the cables to the motor and the spindle indexer!

So after 4-5 hours cleaning and tuning, it's now as firm as the day it left the factory!

Thanks for the great writeup! I was just thinking last night about the fact that I need to clean my ball screws and reset the preload, so your timing is just perfect.

Dave

Availability of Compact 5 CNC Milling Machines?

Hello Esjaavik

Where did you happen to find your Compact 5 CNC lathe? Is anyone selling these older Compact 5 CNC Milling or Lathe Machines? Approximately how much would an Emco Compact 5 CNC Mill cost?
    What about the new Emco Concept Mill 55 Machines, are they available in the US or Canada? I cannot find any foreign distributors? I understand that they are manufactured in Austria. Thanks for your help.

Willy

@Willyb:
    - I found it in an ad in a paper.
    - No shops that I know of, but of course they change hands from time to time.
    - Depends on the seller and prospective buyers.
    - I don't know (check my location).
    - They were. I've heard they are now made in the far east, but the company headquarter I believe is still in Austria.

Hi there,

As far as I know, the Emco Compact 8 is now made in the Far East, but the rest are still made in Austria. I may be wrong, but that's what I read somewhere (not exactly sure where though...).

I also saw a Compact 5 CNC advertised in the UK recently for £1450 in good condition. I know it doesn't help in the USA or Canada, but it should give a rough idea of the preice (if that is a 'normal' price for this machine).

Regards
    Warren

WillyB,
    I have one of the EMCO Compact 5 PC. I am interested in finding it a new home. If interested send me a email to the private messages. Ron

Here is one:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...871766450&rd=1

I must say though that if that "buy Now" price is anyting but a fishing trip, I got mine for an extremely good price! Even though mine did not come with a toolchanger and the chuck is junk.

I didn't pay any attention to the "Buy It Now" price, but the closing price didn't seem half bad to me. I paid $1250 for mine without the tool changer and cosmetically in slightly rough shape, and from the others I've seen I did about average.

The one listed on eBay was a factory Mk4, which is quite desirable. Mine had started out as an Mk2 and was upgraded to Mk4 firmware, which means it has all the new G and M codes but lacks the CNC control of the spindle. I've since wired that in, but it was extra work for me compared with just buying one that has it from the factory.

Dave