Hi Guys

I am converting a round column bench type Mill to CNC and have a question on Swarf protection. These Mills have limited Y axis travel and when the Saddle moves to it’s maximum (+) travel the Saddle is almost be touching the front of the Column. If metal chips are allowed to build up in this area, it will jam the Saddle when it moves rearwards. Also if conventional Swarf protection (like bellows or rubber sheets) is used in this area it is going to take away from the already limited travel. Also using an accordion type guard here would only fill up with Swarf and jam when the Saddle moved rearward.

One idea I had was to install a thin metal strip to the rear edge of the Saddle with countersunk screws. This metal strip would stick up approximately two inches above the top of the Table. I would fasten a rubber sheet to the top of this metal strip and angle the rubber sheet up towards the under side of the Head. The top end of the rubber sheet would be suspended from the Head with a couple of springs which would allow the rubber sheet to move as the Saddle traveled back and forth on the Y axis. If I can get this Guard to prevent most of the Swarf from flying back behind the Saddle, the Saddle would never jam and I wouldn't loss to much of my already limited Y axis travel?

Another idea was to mount an air nozzle in this location and use compressed air to blow the Swarf out from between the rear of the Saddle and the Column. You could control the compressed air with a valve that would turn on anytime the Saddle moved forward. I am not to sure how well this idea would work? I wouldn't want to blow chips in under the sliding surfaces either.
Always interested to hear your thoughts and any ideas about this problem.

WillyB