586,321 active members*
3,697 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New to surfcam

Hello All, My company is starting a new CNC department and choose Surfcam as their programming software. the surfcam version is velocity 4. Since is been a while since they bought it and now it is hand over to me to use. What I want to ask it, is there any type of book or trainning for these software and where can i get them? I haven't got any experience with Surfcam. I do have some experiences with Mastercam X3 and Solidwork 8. any information would help. thanks in advanced.

Go to the "Help" drop down menu and you will see "multimedia tutorials". These are pretty helpful and should get you started. I've been using Surfcam for 14yrs and have been playing around with Mastercam X3 Demo and it is pretty overwhelming and more involved than Surfcam, IMO. If you have some knowledge of software lingo you should be fine.
    DANGER ZONE - HARD HAT REQUIRED!!!!

chrisng29
    Welcome aboard. Surfcam is a great CAM package, we have been using it since 2001.

Velocity 4 took a great product and made it much better. Have you used a CAM package before?

We started raw and worked through the tutorials and then launched out from there. We do no programing on the machines (little adjustments to location and depth etc) This has greatly reduced the crashes that we might have.

TrueMill is worth the whole package in the time and tooling that it will save you.

Get setup so that you can use and see all the inside stuff on WWW.SURFWARE.COM

They do offer training at their office and sometimes elswhere. Make sure you have solid POST for your machines.

You are in the right spot here on this site to ask questions to help you spin up quickly. Read back through the archives here and that will help you a bunch.

There are no stupid questions, we have all needed help to step through new processes.

Relax, have fun, and dig in, we have your back

Lowell

Yep I have been stumped from time to time. And I always come here to seek help.. Havent had a problem till recent thats why im here again now lmao.. Right on for your knowledge with surfcam loweel

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Surfcam-2000-Maximizing-Behrooz-Lahidji/dp/1886552142/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248302469&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Surfcam 2000 (Maximizing Surfcam): Behrooz Lahidji, Sc Jonathon Lin, Karen L. Sterzik, Meishan Lin, Joshua Chen: Books[/ame]

this book has everything you need.

Or come here and ask.

Any time you are staring at the screen wondering what is going on, press "F1". Context-sensitive help will appear on the screen, telling you what is going on at the time.
    Later,
    Charlie

Another thing that helps is when you are on a secondary page, for example setting up the cutting parameters for your op, there's a little question mark in the upper right corner. Click on the "?", then click in the setting field you want to know about, and you get answers as to what it does.
    Hey, why's it going over there?!!

I've been with Surfcam since the Dos version...Now up to V4 SP1. I don't have any real knowledge in using the lathe package, but anything on the mill side, I'll gladly give help with! Surfcam is one of the easiest CAM systems to use and if you have some previous CAM experience with another software, you're already off to a good start!

Feel free to PM me with questions... Your company made a good choice with Surfcam! You'll enjoy using it!:cheers:

I saw some Surfcam training books on ebay.