586,121 active members*
3,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile El cheap air drier

Recognizing that many people build CNC plasma tables as a hobby and therefore need to keep the cost down I thought I would share an air drier design that has served me well. I used a piece of 4" tube about 36" long. Any size that you have would work but I think bigger is better in this case. I cut 2 disks 2" larger than the tube and drilled bolt holes around the outer edges to fasten them together. A circle the OD of the tube was cut from the center of one of the disks. The circle was welded to one end of the tube to cap one end and the remaining ring was welded to the other end to make a flange. The other disk bolts to the flange to cap that end. Weld in 1/4" coupling an inch from each end of the tube and a mounting bracket and it's done.
    That's all basic stuff but the savings come with using a good quality floor dry in place of hard to find and expensive diseccant. get a pair of large panty hose ( I personally prefer new ones but that's your choice) and stuff one leg inside the other put them in the tube and fill with good floor dry. Connect your air hoses and enjoy dry air to your plasma. I happened to have a stainless tube but you could use carbon steel but may want to give it an epoxy paint finish to keep the accumulated moisture from rusting the inside.
    never set a pace that you can't maintain
    Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by traveler
    Recognizing that many people build CNC plasma tables as a hobby and therefore need to keep the cost down I thought I would share an air drier design that has served me well. I used a piece of 4" tube about 36" long. Any size that you have would work but I think bigger is better in this case. I cut 2 disks 2" larger than the tube and drilled bolt holes around the outer edges to fasten them together. A circle the OD of the tube was cut from the center of one of the disks. The circle was welded to one end of the tube to cap one end and the remaining ring was welded to the other end to make a flange. The other disk bolts to the flange to cap that end. Weld in 1/4" coupling an inch from each end of the tube and a mounting bracket and it's done.
    That's all basic stuff but the savings come with using a good quality floor dry in place of hard to find and expensive diseccant. get a pair of large panty hose ( I personally prefer new ones but that's your choice) and stuff one leg inside the other put them in the tube and fill with good floor dry. Connect your air hoses and enjoy dry air to your plasma. I happened to have a stainless tube but you could use carbon steel but may want to give it an epoxy paint finish to keep the accumulated moisture from rusting the inside.
    Could you post some diagrams of your design?
    Regards,
    Hector

Maybe this will clear the confusen up

this is the first time I have tried to insert an attachment. Hope it works

never set a pace you can't maintain
    Attached Files Attached Files
    never set a pace that you can't maintain
    Traveler