586,062 active members*
4,884 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > How hard to make a wells index 700 usable w/o CNC?

How hard to make a wells index 700 usable w/o CNC?

I just picked up a wells index 700 w/ a bandit controller. I was initially hoping to use it manually for a bunch of one off projects (i.e., just like I would a non CNC mill).

Unfortunately, the wells index folks said w/o the servo running the quill will float up and down. They also stated the machine wasn't intended to be used this way and so didn't sound optimistic about how easy a process this would turn out to be.

Has anyone successfully converted their wells index to support a manual mode?

Thanks!

It probably would not take that much to retrofit the machine and make it ussable as CNC. You could even use as a manual machine then but you would use a button instead of a hand crank.

There right about it not working good as a manual. You could change the screws in it but that could cost as much as doing a retrofit.

YOu have the hard part that makes CNC expencive. It really would not take much to get that machine working under CNC control and the value would be a lot more than it is now.

Jess

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY13 View Post
    It probably would not take that much to retrofit the machine and make it ussable as CNC. You could even use as a manual machine then but you would use a button instead of a hand crank.
    The cranks currently work fine (feel pretty smooth). The Wells Index guys have some manual attachments that should fit. The main issue is the quill.

YOu have the hard part that makes CNC expencive. It really would not take much to get that machine working under CNC control and the value would be a lot more than it is now.

Yeah. Unfortunately I'm just learning how to mill, so wanted to start with manual to learn the skills directly. But this thing seems really cool; so perhaps it's worth just going directly to CNC.

Do you know what else I need to get it started? Does it require a compressor?

Does anyone know if I can use a static phaser converter or does this require rotary?

Thanks!

You could use a VFD to run the 3 phase stuff with, plus this gives some other options that will help CNC or manual working of the spindle ( variable speed, plus the ability to be comp controlled).

I am not sure on the compressor part, the draw bar may be air operated. If it has air lines then yes it will need something. The spindle looks as if its just controlled with a servo and screw.

You could look in the "Bridgeport and Hardinge mills" to get a better ( and more exact idea) of what it would really take to get this machine changed over. It would really be a good place to put you a new thread because those guys really work with the bigger machines like this a lot.
    There are plenty of threades in that section that would help get a idea of price to retro this machine. Its much like the Bridgeport Boss.

I really supect it would not take much. Infact that is exactly what I would do. Your kinda thinking right about wanting to do some manual milling first, but its not going to be that much harder to just go ahead with CNC first. One thing you have a sweat lathe there to help you learn some manual stuff, you will just find out that the mill is just a lot stronger. I would not even try to go manual with that mill, just go right on with a CNC retrofit, it will be some much more usefull you will want to CNC the lathe next . A VFD for the spindle, three servo drives, a breakout board, and reuseing alot of the old electronics (swithes, power supply, wiring) would probably get you going. I am not sure what servos are on that machine but I am thinking the Granite drives would be a good driver for them (there is a Granite drive section on the forum). They just came out with a 160v drive so I am sure they could drive those motors. There not the cheapest driver in the world but they sure are nice and they can handle the bigger motors. I am going to say around $1200.00 you could have this mill complete and running under new CNC control. It would not be that much except the drives to run this big a motor are not cheap. The motors could be change but either way you hit a little bit of money. Using the old motors ( if they can be) would make it a weekend fix if you had everything there at once. Thats kinda hard to do though, but the point is its a pretty easy fix. One thing is for sure, after retrofittng it you will have one very nice and capable machine.

I would spend some time in the Bridgeport and Hardinge section reading.. Then put you a post in there and you find what you need very quick. Plus they willl know if the factory servos are worth using and what not. ANd I bet one of them have done just this very retro.

Jess