586,094 active members*
4,206 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > FeatureCAM CAD/CAM > A System For Milling And Turning

Question A System For Milling And Turning

we have been investigating the purchase of a CAD/CAM system (2 seats) for the generation of NC data for our machine tools already available in the shop floor for the aerospace industry. Increasingly we are using and drawing electronically in DXF, IGES or Catia format, we want to supply the system mentioned.

The shop floor facility comprises mostly of 6 CNC 4 axis milling machines and 2 turning machines using driven tooling as a 3rd axis.

The investigation into suitable CAD/CAM packages has led to the short list of the following:

• VX Cad/Cam
    • Gibbs Cad/Cam
    • One CNC 2000
    • Matercam

So we would like to ask about the differences or advantages in terms of:
    1. The suitability of each of these packages according to the specifications given above and the type of work explained.
    2. An indication of the software cost
    3. How would be implemented the system in the company?
    4. Training programs, maintenance, etc.

Thank you very much for the soon answer you can give us.

Hi,

The shop I work at purchased a Bridgeport CNC and they recommended FeatureCam. They also provided FeatureCam training in house at the local Bridgeport service center. That was in 1995. Now having looked at other vendors over the years I would be inclined to pick one of the market leaders in total number of seats sold and what programs the local tech schools are teaching. FeatureCam seems to be a "fringe" type of software where I'm located. When I question local machinist most have never heard of FeatureCam. In a perfect world you would be able to hire people with knowledge in the software your shop has. That may be reason enough to pick a certian software.

Yours, Jim

OneCNC 2000 is pretty old now. The current versions are called the OneCNC XR series and are leaps and bounds ahead of the 2000 series. Both mill and lathe are now available. I've also heard rumors that there is a surprise to come at Westec.

Just wanted you to know whats up at OneCNC. They've not been sitting on their hands, and that the 2000 series is not very representative of their product line any longer.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)