586,055 active members*
4,324 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > DRIP FEEDING OM-A ..A16B-1010-0210

DRIP FEEDING OM-A ..A16B-1010-0210

Thanks to all you very helpfull guys.....My question is can i dripp feed a om-a...I have read that you can not.....but this main board has type B charteristics.......Dose anyone how to do this ...? Now it is a OM-A....But the parameter mapping is like a 6 control , there is a switch on the front of the machine that say rs-232 or tape.......When tape button is pushed it displayed tape on crt......Is it just a mater of having software.....to drip feed if ...the bit for dripfeeding is enabled..........Thanks agin for all your help...!

I think the answer is just a test away, you should get a demo software, built or get a comm cable, connect you computer and run this test.

I have been interested in this theme for some time also, have a friend's machine with a 0M, A16B-1010-0150/06A mother board, and have read I can not drip feed it. In this machine's printed ladder I've seen it doesn't have the G127.5 DNC function. Although it has a tape reader, it doesn't have a tape position in the function selector, in the tests I have performed I can only up/download part programs thru the rs232 port it has, but no drip feed.

Now, I have been informed I could wire an input (if available) all the way thru the operator's panel and rewrite the eproms with Fapt ladder including a modification with the G127.5 DNC function. I know it sounds pretty good in theory but I have not heard from anybody who has actually done this before.

In your case, does your machine have a tape reader?, does it have a tape position in the selector switch?

My MACHINE HAS A TAPE READER IT ALSO HAS MEMORY,,,,,,,,TAPE/REMOTE....AND ,,,EDIT.....IN ADDITION IT HAS A LIFT UP DOOR NEXT TO THE TAPE READER,,,,,IN HERE IS A TOGGLE SWITCH WITH TWO POSITIONS ONE FOR TAPE ONE FOR RS-232.....MY MACHINE HAS PARAMETER MAPPING LIKE A 6 CONTROL.....i HAVE NO LADDER DIAGRAM FOR MY MACHINE ....i TALKED TO MEMEX TODAY AND THEY SAID THEY COULD REWRITE THE SOFTWARE TO DO DNC........YOU SEND YOUR EPROMS AND THEY REWORK THEM...............

In order to drip feed the machine has to be able to EXECUTE a part program that is been sent from the tape reader, then you can emulate that tape with a pc software, not just READ it thru the EDIT function as in my case.

The selector switch you recall from the lift up door is intended for sending the part program in EDIT function thru either the tape reader OR your pc port using rs232.

The thing is that you'd need to run a test, perhaps it can do drip feed thru the TAPE/REMOTE position in your selector, all this without modifying any Eproms, give it a try.

The Fanuc 0M-A did not have a parallel port for a paper tape reader like the system 6, so a parallel BTR connection is not possible. The paper tape reader you have installed is actually a (rather rare) Fanuc SERIAL tape reader, which was also used on the Fanuc system 3M. The "Tape/RS232" switch just lets you select whether the (serial) tape reader is the input device or the serial port (plug) is the input device.

It's interesting that Fanuc put a TAPE mode on your mode select switch. The TAPE mode usually lets you run directly from the paper tape reader, and the EDIT mode is used to download from the tape reader into memory. A serial DNC connection just might be possible if this were the case.

Fanuc took the system 6 firmware and put it in the 0M for some special applications like punch presses and EDM machines. I've never seen this on mills or VMCs though. The fact that you have the parameter mapping of a 6M or 6M-B indicates that Fanuc did this in your case, and you may not have the same TAPE mode limitation as the standard 0M-A

Try this: Download our PC-DNC Editor (it runs in demo mode for free) and load it on a Windows based PC. Next, configure the Fanuc's serial port to 9600 baud by setting parameters:
    311 to: 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 (9600 baud, 1 stop-bit, DC code handshaking)
    340 to: 2
    341 to: 2.

If you have a SETTING screen with INPUT DEVICE 1 and INPUT DEVICE 2, set INPUT DEVICE 1 to "0" and INPUT DEVICE 2" to "1". The link to our PC-DNC Editor download is:

http://www.sub-soft.com/download/Edi...itor_3.5.3.exe

To avoid "buffer overflow" alarms on the CNC, right-click on your "My Computer" icon, select "Manage", then "Device Manager", then click the (+) sign next to "Ports (COM and LPT)". Right-click on "Communications port COM1", then select "Properties", then "Port Settings", then "Advanced". Move the "Transmit buffer" slider all the way to the LEFT, then click OK many times to exit all menus.

Connect your PCs COM1 serial port (a 9-pin male plug) to the Fanuc's 25-pin (female) serial port with a 9-to-25 NUL MODEM cable, like this one:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=936&sku=03019

Next, use the PC-DNC Editor's File/Open menu to open any program, or type in a short one using "File/New", then click the DNC toolbar button and click the "DNC" or "Wait for Xon" button. Lastly, select TAPE mode on the Fanuc and press CYCLE START. (you may want to try this in SINGLE BLOCK first, just in case).

If the Fanuc runs the program as the DNC software sends it, you're all set to go. Any DNC program will do, not just ours.

I was told to check my parameter 68.........it read 100........changed it to 3 .....powered it off.......Rebooted holding 3 and delete.........Now I have 507 pages for programing , compared to the 95 it had......Dose anyone know how many KB. per page a OM control holds..............?....Thanks

I now this is a old thread, but ...

ironically I have just finished making a memory upgrade and DNC manual for a client with the same Fanuc 0-MAD control using 412-08 Firmware on the A16B-1010-0210 Masterboard so I thought I would reach out. Several folks have answered, so I will summarize what I think you need to know here:

- the Fanuc 0-MAD can go up to 120 Meters of Tape (or 48k) in memory only (which is odd since there is over 128k of memory onboard when fully loaded);
    - all Fanuc 0 controls can handle DNC (or Tape Mode) but D127.5 (it is a G127 bit 5 but shows ont he screen as a D) needs to be on (and you need a serial port enabled - see P901.6=1 - which most do);
    - the issue is that machine tool builders sometimes don't make it easy to turn that "DNCI" bit on;
    - strategies I've seen include.. using a spare key (not always labelled), using a Keep Relay (Leadwell does this), using a software operator's panel soft key on the screen or just using a key switch;
    - we have hacked into the Fanuc operating system and enabled D127.5 for a few firmware versions to save the ladder change costs (the one I am doing tonight is 412-08 by the way);
    - one needs a good DNC software to enable drip feeding and I would recommend streamlining the code going to the Fanuc in this mode (no Carriage Returns, no spaces, no comments, minimize N numbers, etc);
    - check the device type parameter 38 (P38=10xx xxxx) as everyone seems to miss this parameter focusing on 552/553 (11 for 9600 baud), 2 (Port 0 No Feed and 2 stop bits P2=1xxx xxx1) and 12 (Port 1 like P2 for No Stop and No Feed);
    - keep in mind that Fanuc 0 controls only have a 3 line read ahead buffer - which is tough for contouring;
    - I recommend 2 stop bits to counter the Buffer Overrun issue - E72 is the usually setup for me;
    - also when Fanuc reports a "page" of memory, it really means 78 bytes of data - so do the math to determine how many bytes you have left (keeping in mind that the CMOS memory is also used for NC parameters, tool offsets, PMC data, macro variables, etc...)

Anyway, the control using CMOS SRAM chips so watch out for BAT alarms that indicate the 3 D cells are low. Let me plug doing a backup before you need it writing down the D300-699 PMC parameters as on the Fanuc 0-A & 0-B controls as they can't be serially downloaded. Also watch for P10.4 as the O9000 macro programs can be protected and thus not backed up.

If you need help with Fanuc controls let me know as I have specialized in this area for a while. I suspect not quite as long as my esteemed friend Dan Fritz who skillfully answered you before however ...

Tom Gaasenbeek
    Nexas Networks Inc.