586,111 active members*
3,652 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

picking out scrap steel ,any tips?

Guys know of any tricks for picking out scrap steel for machinability? mostly im using square bar stock

Other then a file to test the hardness. As of now i been just using the "hit and miss" approach.

What I do is make a little cardboard template with square holes in it. Then I go down to the junk yard and try to make everything fit. If it fits, and fills the hole, then "yup, its square"

That help?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You've already covered my suggestion with the file. Beyond that, there's not a lot of easy was to test steel. You might get ahold of some small pieces of various grades (1010, 1018, 1040, 4140, etc) to get a feel for how the file does on each. I don't know if there would actually be much difference, but maybe. Short of fancy chemical analysis, hardness is about it. Maybe a hammer and punch could show more distinction between hard, sort of hard, and soft.

thanks guys

There is also a grinder test. You look at the sparks to determine whether it is a low carbon building steel or a high carbon steel.
    Regards,
    Mark