586,061 active members*
4,453 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Are you using WCS for programming?

View Poll Results: Do you use wcs feature in Mastercam

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 78.16%
  • No

19 21.84%
Page 1 of 2 12

Are you using WCS for programming?

Who using WCS in Mastercam Part programming and design?

Steve Arteman
    [email protected]
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

Yes, we use WCS origins pretty much all the time with very few exceptions.

Yes

Yes. Would like to get my hand's on some good tutorial's on correct way to use WCS & construction planes with 5 axis programming. Also Steve , just about half way finished viewing your video's on Solid's & Surface's & will post my opinion's. Pleased so far with what I've seen.

Harold C.

Yep, have to for multi-op setups, positioning 4th axis.

Not so much for full 5-axis stuff only on the initial setup

We are trying to position WCS to the workpiece geometry. The main reason for this is the Solidworks direct to Mastercam.

The problem I have with this is when saving a .stl file of the machined part it is not located correctly.

Saving the .stl file and using it for verify seems to work best when using the Mastercam default WCS.

Does anyone else experience this?

Quote Originally Posted by camtd View Post

The problem I have with this is when saving a .stl file of the machined part it is not located correctly.
    put checked "Do not translate STL output data to positive space"
    and model will save correctly with origin as you wish

So you know do not use the WCS to set a datum position for 5axis translate the part then you can make planes from there for 3+2 programming.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Would you be so kind, if you have time , to put a short video together to do what you just described . Thank's in advance.

Harold C.

Yep

I use it as much as I can. I am not very good at it could use some info on using it more. now that I am running a consulting business I find that using it gives the customer a batter overview of a part completed. Rather then the old way of flipping and turning the part in multiple levels of the same part.

Harlod I will try some time soon. just been real busy sorry.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by camtd View Post
    We are trying to position WCS to the workpiece geometry. The main reason for this is the Solidworks direct to Mastercam.

Saving the .stl file and using it for verify seems to work best when using the Mastercam default WCS.

Does anyone else experience this?
    Are you creating programs using the Machine group and tool path grouping?
    Or do you create a new machine group for each operation of the part?
    If you set your WCS system properly your verify should work perfect.
    Use machine groups for each machine used to make a part. If you are only using one machine then use one machine group. Use the tool path groups for each operation of the part manufacture.
    Set your machine group WCS in the stock menue to the first op WCS.

i cant live without WCS

in one file you ca program 2 lathes setup and 5 or 6 milling setup

It's easy to work without WCS, especially when you have many setups by creating planes (Tplane, Cplane) as you like and selecting the origin for each " Associative". You can position the *.stl file with "Xform file" in V9.1 - I don't know the way to do it in X

dta17aug, by making named views or Planes and setting these it is one short step of using the WCS system. but your makes for some issue that can happen. by setting the Planed view you made in the WCS View Manager the main WCS you now have made this the new top and it will not flip the part on you.
    Cadcam

It's the only way to go

I use it all the time.

Reasons

1. Never have to move geometry and possibly screw up previous toolpathes.

2. When used right, all index angles are generated perfectly for horizontal programming.

3. No more 3D Xform or Rotate.

4. Complete part programming for verify. Great if you want to use the "Compare to STL file" option in Verify. That feature is a life saver some times.

Mike in MN
    www.cncbasics.com

it seems like I am the only person who still XFORMS the new work position and saves it as a different level I know it takes more disk space on the server but I mostly work with single details (3D) and it is not very big, I am trying to get more up to speed with WCS...

I would like to see a video also wcs makes me crazy and I'm sure I dont need to be!

you folks want to see Dynamic WCS from X4?
    Cadcam

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    you folks want to see Dynamic WCS from X4?
    Oh yes please do!I'm starting to use Mc x4 and I can see the point of wcs but find it a little confusing.
    Thank's
    Looking forward to it.

I would like to learn a little more if not a lot about using it.
    I have been using mastercam and similar cad-cam for 10 or more years yet havent found time to learn wcs well. I am certain it is key for my five axis programming.

Please tell me more
    sincerely Steve Walden

Page 1 of 2 12