587,421 active members*
3,137 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > tapping on a mini mill without rigid tapping???

Hybrid View

I agree rigid tapping is the way to go I was just trying to be cheap.
    Thanks Mike

Did you absolutely rule out that the rigid tapping was not already paid for? If it had a software reload, they may have just forgotten to re-enable it. As was posted before, a call to Haas should clear that up.

And secondarily, just spring for the rigid tapping if you don't already have it. On a mill, it's just too important and versatile. I didn't get it on my lathe because I was stretching to afford it, but I'll probably still crack one of these days and pay for it.

The logic for me is: on a TL-1, you can only have one tapped hole per part, but on a mill, you can have unlimited tapped holes. It would be a no-brainer choice on a mill. Even on the lathe, I haven't come up with a reasonable solution, though the tap-matic might be a good work around (though not really cheaper).
    Greg

Yea haas told me it was never paid for I will be getting it when I need it or have a few extra bucks Thanks Mike

Trial Period

I don't know if HAAS offered that option on your particular Year/Model but on the newer machines they offer a 200 hour trial period for rigid tapping and other options.

It the previous owner never used the trial period it may still be available. Another tip is to turn it off (the option) when not using the rigid tap and you can save the 200 hours and only use it when you need it.

My rigid tapping parameter had 3 options:

0= Disabled (turned off)
    1= Option paid for and turned on
    T= Utilizing the 200 hour trial period

This might help you while you save up to purchase the option.

If you need the procedure to turn it on I am sure someone here can help you with that.

Just a thought.

John