587,513 active members*
3,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    My motor mounts worked great (so far any way!)
    I had to rotate the X axis mount thru 90 degrees as the mounting bolt holes were going into the bed and table base, so I couldn't get nuts on them. Got some filling and paint touch ups to do now!!
    I have X and Y zipping around under Mach3 control, cant wait to get Z and A running (have a few issues with those motors that I hope can be resolved!!) so that I can start making some stuff!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motor mounted.jpg  

Issues with Z and A motors resolved!
    Anyone who doubts the service from Dave at HobbyCNC is wrong. A few emails explaining the problem and 2 new motors are in the post! Anyone looking for a good value CNC kit (driver board and motors) would be mad not to purchase one of these kits, they have just about everything you need, and an oversupply of service!!!

Lots of work done on my build now.
    Still got some more little things to do like making a new control box and tidying the wiring around the computer, but its basically done. Im toying with the idea of making a new Z axis and carriage as there seems to be a little movement in it. Ive come up with a design that allows screw adjustment of the bearings against the rails so I can preload them properly. Currently its being done by the flex in the MDF!
    I was surprised that the clear vinyl worked for the vaccum attachment. It was an experiment, but I will leave it there as it working so well. I can even see the cutter!
    I used a bit of vinyl to cover the X axis rails as well to keep dust/shavings away from the bearings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2268.jpg   IMG_2269.JPG   IMG_2270.JPG   IMG_2271.JPG  

IMG_2272.jpg  

That's a very neat, clean looking build. You're going to enjoy that one! Now the incessant tinkering begins. :cheers: So, has the next build started yet?

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

I have been having some problems with my Z axis. When facing my T-slot table I noticed that the router bit would seem to dig in and then at other times it would push away. I had been thinking it was flex in my build, but I noticed yesterday while experimenting with engraving some aluminium that the whole shaft of the router was pushing back inside the housing under load. When the pressure was removed from the spindle it would slowly "fall" back out.
    Today I purchased some new bearings as I noticed it had some sideways movement too, and started disassembling the router this evening. Had to stop because I don't have long enough circlip pliers to reach inside (will have to take it into work tomorrow and raid one of the mechanics toolboxes ) but I have found that the router spindle is sliding in the inner race of the main bearing about the same amount as the variance in my Z inconsistancies. Hopefully I can shim this and remove the end play. I guess you get what you pay for with a $49.00 router, but it is less than 3 months old with probably 5 hours running time, so not what I expected.

In response to......
    I'm in the process of building an MDF frame CNC router and I'm to the point where I need to build the clampnig bed. I think I'm going to use T-slots running the length of the table as you did. But here's the dumb question: I noticed the slots have metal liners. What are those liners called? and did you make the clamping bed or purchase it? If purchased, where'd you get it? If made, could you provide some details on it? (bit used, distance between slots, etc.) Do you think it could be made out of MDF or would that just pull out?
    Hi Brian,
    T Slot table was self made, and is lengths of 42 x 19 pine. These have been rebated to clamp down the aluminium extrusion, which was purchased from an office shop fitter. These pine pieces are screwed / glued from underneath into a 9mm MDF base. The whole assembly is then screwed down through the T slot to the machine bed. The aluminium extrusion is from a product called "slat wall" and is placed in a cutout in MDF sheeting so that you can hang hooks and shelf brackets on it. I would not use MDF in this method without using the aluminium. I then made some T nus from some left over HDPE. So far its working well.

Here is a link to the product.
    http://www.shop4shops.com.au/index.h...rget=d107.html

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out shortly.

~B²

Page 2 of 2 12