586,069 active members*
3,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > CHNC II GN10 control Initial start up problem

CHNC II GN10 control Initial start up problem

Hello all, I am hoping someone can get me headed in the right direction here.

Short Version:
    After sitting for two years with no power, on initial power up the CRT displays:

FS10TF 1315H
    ROM TEST: END
    RAM TEST:

And will never go past this. My guess is that I lost the memory batteries while it was sitting. Where do I go from here?

Long Version
    I purchased a CHNC II for a hobby machine two years ago. As most of my hobbies, it was put on the back burner and has been sitting with no power to it. I read a couple weeks ago, that the memory is kept alive by batteries that should be changed once a year. OOPS! I tried firing it up tonight (so I could change the batteries under power) when I ran into the above problem.

It never passes that screen... I finally powered off after 5 minutes and tried again a few minutes later with the same result.

Is this a sign of the batteries having died and loosing everything? If so how do I start the long process of rebuilding it?

Or is it something else?

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. I doubt that it matters for this problem, but the machine has been upgraded to AC Axis Drives.

Thanks in advance,
    Kris

Has anybody had their memory batteries die? ...In their CHNC, not personally