586,111 active members*
3,184 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Joe's CNC Router the beginning for testing
Page 1 of 4 123

Joe's CNC Router the beginning for testing

I thought i would start a plog to show my router if ideas i have learned from your guys here at CNCZone ( One of the Best Sites for info and help ).

I have three 5.2v, 1.4a, 1/8 steppers (6 wire). Will be ordering the hobbycnc 3 axis board, as mentioned and suggested by the admin here. (thanks again)

I will be incorporating several of you guys ideas into my router hope you don't mind.

here are my motors and the start of my router.

Also can someone please let me know how i can test and spin my motors to test the router out, while i wait for my controllor board.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0297b.JPG   DSCF0329b.JPG   DSCF0332b.JPG  

Figure out the pairings and run some voltage through them? That's all the driver boards would do, anyway...

-- Chuck Knight

nice looking machine.
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Joe,
    Looks like a great start. I like the straight forward approch to your machine. Hope to be there soon. I've got all of the electronics done now just have to build the Dang machine....LOL.

George

one thing you could do is connect each color to another motor, make sure all the wires are paird exactly and spin one motor, the other should spin if done correctly.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JFettig
    one thing you could do is connect each color to another motor, make sure all the wires are paird exactly and spin one motor, the other should spin if done correctly.

Jon
    anyway of doing a small diagram, how the wires hookeup to power
    (6 wires)

These are steppers they require a sequence, which you could try to manually imitate...well not so manually.....just wait for your controller.

Believe me, without controller is difficult to spintest a stepper. You need a step source, direction source, voltage source... too complicated.

If what you want is testing the router mechanics, the easiest way is using a cordless driver attached to every axe where the steppers will attach later.

/F

I ordered the 3axis board today from hobbycnc, Trying to get the machine ready within the next few days.

Here is the Gantry finished with z axis done also, there apears to be very little play in the unit, which i am happy about.

I am making it as small and light as possible, because i'm using the famous HP Laser Jet steppers, as shown above.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0333b.JPG  

i will use this cordless dremel for testing the machine and see how it runs, its rated at 4.8v switchable in two modes from 5,000rpm to 10,000rpm, however i connected a universal adapter ranging from 1.5v to 12v. to see what would happen and here is how the test went.

4.5v - pretty much the same as if it was running on the supplied battery
    6v - i would guess about 15,000 rpm
    9v maybe 20,000
    and 12v runreal fast maybe 30,000rpm but i have no clue actually.

So in short maybe it will work out for a temporary cutter and is very quiet compared to a 120v dremel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cordless dremel.JPG  

Hey Joe, (sounds like a famous song) bro that looks like a simple but yet perfect machine that I am looking to build and it has given me the confidence to make a start on mine. Please post some pics of it fully working and let us know if there are any points that you would improve on and I am sure that we could all learn something along the way. Also does anyone know where I can buy the plastic material that you made the bearing blocks from in here in the UK??????? Kammo1

Joe,
    How did you connect the universal adapter to your cordless Dremel?
    I have one and the battery pack is dead so it is collecting dust.
    I noticed that the pack has four contacts and was just wondering how your wired it.
    JSCB

Yes, you can take it apart with two screws on the side, then remove the contact housing that you see under the battery, about 6-8 contacts on it then you will see the top of the motor, which has two contacts that you can solder your wires to, just make sure you test which way it spins when you touch the wires to it., then just put it back together and your done.

I will be cutting a block to fit on the inside where the battery goes then drill holes through it for mounting should be real fast and easy.

Thanks,
    I was debating on what to do with it. I have a universal adapter that I can use so, I'm all set.
    Thanks again,
    JSCB

I really like your machine, Whats the cutting area of it?

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRob
    I really like your machine, Whats the cutting area of it?
    Thanks cncrob,

the foot print is 24x36 and im guessing the cutting area to be about 17"x26" hard to pinpoint without it being complete and no controller board yet.

OK, I decided to do away with the UHMW linier bearings i made and went with rollor bearings, not every single axis of the machine slides very easy with hardly any play at all. (picture to follow) I should be getting the board kit from hobby cnc maybe within 3 days from now. the machine is ready for testing as soon as i get that and install the dremel and top deck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0339b.JPG  

Joe,

Wonderful job so far!

I'm curious about the gantry bearings. I looks from your photos that you have two bearings on top of the pipe, resting by gravity. Without a bearing underneath, are you concerned about the gantry tipping or rocking and it moves back and forth. I guess the leadscrew will hold it up...

I'm less familiar with gantry routers and their conventions, so I could be totally off my rocker...

Good luck,

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsione
    Joe,

Wonderful job so far!

I'm curious about the gantry bearings. I looks from your photos that you have two bearings on top of the pipe, resting by gravity. Without a bearing underneath, are you concerned about the gantry tipping or rocking and it moves back and forth. I guess the leadscrew will hold it up...

I'm less familiar with gantry routers and their conventions, so I could be totally off my rocker...

Good luck,
    Thanks, The Lead screw seems to hold it well, but like everything else real world test will tell. I am thinking of using this machine to only carve wood and plastic materials, no metal cutting (well not much atleast) And also use this machine to build a better CNC Router, and so on, maybe the 3rd or 4th generation will be the ultimate one, Wait you always think of ways to improve it its an ongoing experiance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsione
    Joe,

Wonderful job so far!

Good luck,
    OK after thinking about it a little bit (1 min. i decided to add a UHMW block cut the same dia. as the pipe to keep it from moving up for sure.... better to be safe than sorry right?

Thanks, Joe

small UHNW to help gantry stay on tract.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0343b.JPG  

Page 1 of 4 123