586,409 active members*
3,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbie here-need advise

Hi All
    I operate a small manufacturing company (all of three employees!) and rely on an outside laser engraver for some small parts that we make. The engraving is on (through) plate aluminum that has been black anodized.
    I have been thinking that we might want to consider something like this in-house. I really have no idea where to start. And I know nothing about these desktop units.
    Any ideas or advise would really be appreciated! You are also welcome to email me in a pm.
    [email protected]
    Thank you in advance!

Larry

Larry,
    Engraving regular anodized aluminum isn't difficult, the 'hard' black is slightly more trouble but can still be done nicely with low cost equipment.

Do you know what the current sub-con is using; CO2, Nd:YAG etc and the power? (some discrete questions may help)

You could use a CO2 laser (even Epilog's 25W Zing or a Chinese system would work ok - although I wouldn't recommend either if you'll be doing a lot of marking with it).

The size of product you want to mark will be the major factor.

Zax.

Help needed

Hi Zax

Thank you for the help. I really do not know what equipment my engraver uses. I have never seen his shop. It's all been via UPS.

You said "You could use a CO2 laser (even Epilog's 25W Zing or a Chinese system would work ok - although I wouldn't recommend either if you'll be doing a lot of marking with it)."

Also you mentioned "CO2, Nd:YAG " I have seen the CO2 type but not the other. Not sure what it is.

I am not sure what "a lot" means- I will be doing about 200 small (2" x3") pieces per year. Would that be alot?

Thanks gain.
    Larry

Hi Larry,

Do your plates have to be laser engraved? I ask because going with an inexpensive diamond drag system may be more worth while for you. The U-Marq GEM-FX4 model is used a lot in plate marking like you are doing. If you would like look them up on the web at www.u-marqusa.com. There are some videos to watch and some information to look through. If you have any questions you can call the 800 number at 800-243-5504 or you can email me at [email protected].

Elisha

Larry,

No - that isn't 'a lot'

Nd:YAG has the benefit that you can mark metal directly, without using an additive process as is required for CO2. Of course anodized aluminum already has the additive that you remove (the plating) so you don't need anything but the laser.

There are several different technologies and wavelength lasers, from UV to IR.

We use Rofin 1064nm diode lasers (DPSS) for marking metals, everything from stainless steel and alloys to gold.

CO2 (10600nm=10.6um) would be a cheaper option, if you only want to mark anodized aluminum. It can also cut or mark most plastics, wood etc.

Zax.

Quote Originally Posted by UMarqUSA View Post
    inexpensive diamond drag system
    Larry, after looking at your website I agree with Elisha that this is an option. It may make more sense if you already have CNC equipment as the learning curve is less compared to a laser system.

Zax.

Newbie needs help

THanks all

I looked at those that Elisha recomended and they are way out of our price range.

I have been looking at some on EBay (C02 types) in the $1K price range.

Are there any I should completely avoid?

Thanks again

Larry

Hi.. larry,

I dont think that you have to avoid anything..
    better search for the specific criteria of the product, and do a direct contact and make yourself clear.

Larry,

The ~$1k systems on ebay are ok, I would look at the machine offered by Strong (slightly updated model compared to some of the others).

It is also a CE/FDA certified machine, so you shouldn't have any problems with customs. It is also under the limit for duty / tax.

Zax.