586,470 active members*
3,465 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > How to run your SpectraLight 0200 without a controller card

Talking How to run your SpectraLight 0200 without a controller card

On this page I outline how to control your SpectraLight 0200 mill using a parallel port adapter rather than the controller card.

Using this method I have successfully converted my mill over to parallel port operation. I am now using EMC2 to control my mill.

This method is 100% reversible. It is a simple cable that sits between your parallel port and the cable to your mill controller.

This method cost $5.00 in parts. Less if you scrounge.

Happy cable building!

Shannon Haworth

A quick update, the basics (spindle control, x/y/z axis) are working. I cut some foam at high feed rates (30) without any lost steps or other issues. I also engraved a wood plaque, the results were perfect in both cases.

Be warned that the cable has a flaw. If you unplug the cable from the parallel port the spindle starts running! This is an obvious safety issue that must be addressed.

My next priority is to expand the cable to include two-way estop support (keyboard or the big red mushroom on the mill). After this safety feature is in place I will attempt to support spindle speed control. Currently the speed is controlled using the manual knob.

Shannon

Amazing you got that far. When I was converting my spectralight, I couldnt find much info at all. Of course I dont understand enough about computers and ISA cards. I do know that if you call Spectralight for a card, you will be shocked at the price. Then there is the software. It was very easy to build a Hobby Cnc Pro kit and install it. Glad you got yours up and running! I wasnt aware the spectralight had speed control via the pc. Since a mill runs only 1 tool why not set speed manually? 1 other thing, dont unplug the cable while powered.

Shannon

Great info on converting all those Spectralight cnc machines that are always bought without a interface card.

Jack

For those following this thread, especially those who are trying this mod, be aware that my controller reports that the front cover is open. No amount of tinkering with the switch seems to help.

I likely fried something. Proceed with caution.

Smile

False alarm, the mill had come unplugged. What a relief.

Quote Originally Posted by shannon_haworth View Post
    For those following this thread, especially those who are trying this mod, be aware that my controller reports that the front cover is open. No amount of tinkering with the switch seems to help.

I likely fried something. Proceed with caution.

Hey Shannon, you still have that way of converting the mill, your link is dead.

Site down

ZipSnipe,

Funny to hear from your. Your post from something like 2005 is like the first post I read on CNCZone, it was right after I purchased my mill.

Concerning the site. I didn't pay my DNS provider, so you can't reach my site. It should be back up in a couple of days, I think I have things straightened out. It evidently takes a few days for things to be processed.

You can reach a cached version of the site here:
    Home [MeshCMS]

None of the functionality works on the cached version, but you can access the information.

BTW, the site is a bit out of date. I have attempted to convert 4 mills thus far. Two have been successful. One was successful using the instructions on the site. The other needed an opto-isolated breakout board ($28.00) for the parallel port signals to work.

The other two didn't work because of bad controller boxes (I know this because they didn't work with the spectralight ISA card either).

The site is out of date (the instructions work, but are missing wisdom acquired from a years worth of helping folks with this process). Also I have incorporated a "charge pump" circuit into my most recent design. This prevents the spindle from starting when EMC2 isn't even running!!!!

The success rate with this conversion is about 50% based on the feedback I've received.

Let me know if I can provide any assistance.

Shannon

Thanx Shannon, I just sold the machine a lil while ago and I wanted the guy to have that option in the future. I email him the link and he can take it from there.
    Thanx again!!!

Re: How to run your SpectraLight 0200 without a controller card

Not to bring this thread up from the dead but all of your links except the cached one is dead, couldn't find the diagram for the cable as that link was dead too. Any chance you can upload one?

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Not to bring this thread up from the dead but all of your links except the cached one is dead, couldn't find the diagram for the cable as that link was dead too. Any chance you can upload one?
    I'll dig around my backups and see if I can upload everything to github or similar. I can imagine the frustration of knowing the information is out there... somewhere.

Shannon

thank you very much!! My brother has a prolight 3000 and we want to try and use the stock controller with the cable and mach 3, maybe we'll get lucky!

Good news, I found a viable backup. Transferring everything now.

Ok, the important bits of information are now up. You can find them here: https://github.com/shaworth/Spectralight-CNC-Conversion

Thank you very much! More questions to come I'm sure!!

Ordered up a 99 dollar controller. I'll roll the dice on it and see what happens. As far as spindle speed control and direction (for the lathe) were you ever able to get that working? If this doesn't work atleast I can gut the old controller and have a nice case for the new electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Ordered up a 99 dollar controller. I'll roll the dice on it and see what happens. As far as spindle speed control and direction (for the lathe) were you ever able to get that working? If this doesn't work atleast I can gut the old controller and have a nice case for the new electronics.
    I got spindle speed for the mill working using this module: C41 - PWM Variable Speed Control Board, CNC4PC
    But to be honest, the speed control knob worked just fine. My mill is mothballed right now (moved to an apartment). As far as controllers go, I was able to use an arduino Uno running GRBL to control my mill (connected to stepper drivers of course). The total cost for the conversion (Arduino, stepper drivers, stepper motors, power supply) was about $150. The results were amazing, very smooth movement. The steppers simply sounded better than they did using the ancient controller.

The cost of updated electronics is so low that I seriously question the need for using the factory controller. In 2009 when I did this work things were quite a bit different.

Keep me in the loop, would love to hear how your project goes.

Shannon