586,119 active members*
3,672 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Recommissioning a semi-used diy-cnc

Recommissioning a semi-used diy-cnc

Hey all,

I was on the verge of building my own CNC based off of Joe's plans, but stumbled onto a machine on Kijiji at a good price. The only problem with it is that it lacks the BOB/controllers. The basic story is that the gentleman that built died, and I bought it from his son. He couldn't find the original controllers. So basically I am hoping you guys can help me pick a controller to use with this machine.

My uses will be to use it on solids and some mdf/PB. It has a small ryobi router in it but I will need to replace the entire plate it sits on to put in a new router as its coupler is braised to the plate.

So I guess pictures are in order. I really do not have a lot of information on the build or what parts are made of. I am hoping that the community can help me identify a few of the parts.

The 3 motors are 'japan servo co kp86sm2-002'
    http://www.used-line.com/c6120527s10...vo_KP86SM2.htm
    They are 4 wire motors. The X and Y are belt driven with gears. Anyone need me to count teeth and give the diameters of the gears? The Z is connected by a lovejoy.

The transformer just has a serial code on it. I tried googling it, no luck. Would the power of it be marked?

I'll also post a pick of the screw with a tape measure. It took me a little bit more then 5 turns(very little) to move the Z 1". I am fairly certain these are acme lead screws, but there seems to be a small groove along the centre of the thread.

So pics! the base is 3'x3' with 5"-6" for the Z.

Please request anymore pics that are not in this post. I'll give you the best information I can. I wanted to get a HobbyCNC controller, but that is only for unipolar 5,6, or 8 wire motors. Can I do a Gekco? I am also considering using a design off of Pmino's website, but I cannot tell which board to pick. I know I would need a bipolar one, but I am always confused by which one would suit me best. Also as too how much voltage I need.

Forgot too add:

the original drivers were going to be:
    cy-42c cyberpak
    http://www.cyberpakco.com/cypk_cy-42c.html

He had some cy-45 lying around, but I did not know if they were good or suited the machine. I think the cy-45 are old tech.

CY -45

I think I have the same machine as you have...I got this machine from kijiji
    at a bargain price...CY-45 are working amazingly at rapids of 400 ipm.
    My plan is to use the machine for parts and construct a metal welded frame as a stronger base...I will be glad if you sent me some pic of the machine ....I promise I will do the same...

I as promised after 3 years this is the outcome ....It,s just amazing....
    As you can see the way I build it, it,s like a tank...welded structure ...
    One of drivers was shorted so I had to build a new controller ....
    Another complete success....

Attachment 225374