586,103 active members*
2,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Linear Rails

Linear Rails

I am working on 2 large CNC's.. one router (6' x 10' cutting) and a plasma (5' x 10' cutting).
    Because of the long axis I am having problems finding the bearings and I wonder if anyone can tell me if I can find a decent price on 10'6" ish rails. The plasma I ended up deciding on using a flatbar bearing surface like a tormach (I think that was where I had seen the design I based mine off of).
    For the router I think I need a better bearing surface but I suppose I could be wrong with the weight of the gantry it might be ok.
    Does anyone have any idea's about where to get a decent (I know they wont be CHEAP but theres a high and low) linear rail setup that is 10' 6"+? Or a good alternative?

Thanks,

Kyle

Too bad you are so far up the continent from me. I have a pair of Hiwin 35MM X 3 meter rails with light preload trucks. I would be happy to get half price for them.

Also have six IKO 30MM X 60 inch long rails with line fit trucks.

Yea.. shipping is horrible if its not coming from Taiwan or China.. I don't understand that.
    The problem I am running into is that 10' x 6' cutting area seems to be a odd length. Is there a way to align multiple rails to get the full cutting distance I need? All I have heard is that if i do that I there is no way to get them straight and there will be either a lift or a drop.
    I am not giving up on the 5x10 plasma by any stretch.. thats a little easier to do but the router I am almost ready to scrap that plan and go down to 4x8'.
    If anyone has done this size that reads this please let me know how to go about getting that distance on the long axis. I may just end up doing what I am doing on the plasma with flatbar and a plate with rollers like the tormach machines.

doug6949 ~ maybe email me @ cnc -*at*- bctrip (dot) net and if I can work out shipping it I would like to take you up on those.. at least that would cover my shorter axis.

There seems to be conflicting information on the web concerning the joining of rails. IKO makes specially end-ground rails for joining. While this may be important in some applications, it is not important with a router.

The tolerances just aren't that critical unless you are using heavily preloaded trucks and working at the upper end of the design load range.

As long as you use care when joining the ends you will have no problem.