586,076 active members*
4,023 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thumbs up experience with torchmate

I set up my new machine and couldn't get the torch to ignite for the life of me. So, I called up torchmate tech and ran through several tests. They were very helpful. Eventually we determined the black box that connects to the torch must have not worked. This is where my disappointment started. Torchmate didn't want to send me a new box without seeing my box first. I didn't want to wait any longer so I bought a new box for 345$ and was promised a refund after the original was sent back to the manufacturer to re-prove that it was faulty. I got the return number and sent the box back to torchmate. Torchmate recieved the box and sent it to their supplier. The supplier determined it was one of the terminals that was loose. Torchmate doesn't think that a loose terminal is a manufactures defect. I feel that the manufacturer was the person that put those terminals on. So, torchmate agreed that I didn't need two boxes and agreed to keep my original and refund the 345$ minus a small fee for the shipping of the box to the manufacturuer for the inspection. "minus a small fee" was exact words. Days later and checking my account for the refund I found the small fee for shipping was 75 bucks! If a company that is as proud of their customer service as torchmate seemed to be, I don't believe i should be out any more money for a table that hadn't put out one part yet. Quality control? Anyway I wanted to share my torchmate experience with anyone shopping around.

$345 relay box

That does seem to be a bit high since I can ship 30 pounds of metal for less. For what it's worth, I've never had a bit of trouble with Torchmate or their tech department, but there's a first time for everything I guess.

I've never had this kind of trouble either. I don't know if the downturn in the economy had anything to do with this but it is an outrage. Not a good way to treat the customer. In most of the business that I've worked in over the years the customer was always given the benefit of the doubt. This builds strong relationships and in return the customer spreads the good word which leads to other opportunities. This was bad move on the part of Torchmate, but it's not too late for them to correct it. There is plenty of competition out there Torchmate. Customer service is extremely improtant. Don't destroy your reputation for that sake of the couple of bucks. Your customers will take notice.

Thats interesting, I have been shopping for a new system, been lurking and reading. Infact this is my first post I believe but this might sway my pick of a machine.

experience with torchmate

Well, its time for an update. I was contacted out of the blue by torchmate today. They called to apologize for a misunderstanding over my problems with the "Black box" and the shipping costs I refer to in the earlier post. Torchmate wanted to correct the misunderstanding and refund the 75$ I was out. The money is important to me but it was also important for torchmate to understand my point of view in regards to the quality of the product they sold me for a lot of money, and that it was still costing money with out getting anything from the machine. I believe that torchmate actually did understand what I was trying to tell them and I believe they will refund the 75$ sometime soon. To me, that means they do value their reputation and word of mouth. I have a big mouth. I did a ton of research before I bought the torchmate and the tech help, with the customer service were what got me to make a major purchase over the internet. Torchmate in my opinion has a big reputation for customer service. I am glad they are trying to live up to it.

Did Torchmate mention your original post here?
    www.metaltechus.com

yes they did.

It seems that Torchmate is trying to correct the situation here. Kudos to Torchmate for the effort. I expected and hoped for nothing less.

Right on.

Right On Pit Bull, glad that it seems to be getting worked out for you.
    When I first started getting my table up and running this last year, I was having a problem with the height control getting a signal from my new Thermal Dynamics A-120 plasma machine (http://www.thermadyne.com/IM_Uploads...772_0-4989.pdf ) that I had purchased through TorchMate also. Course there is so much to learn at the very beginning that it was really hard to for me to try and determine what the trouble was, (everything was new and so I expected all to work, Right?) well after many phone calls to must have been every body in the tech dept they figured out the problem. (They do have a hell of a tech dept, from the CAD help to the machine itself, all of them that I have talked to Jake, Jack, Mike all know their system.) They got a new interior chip from the manufacturer sent out to me, at no cost, I just had to wait a couple days, and all I had to do was open the black box and replace it. They helped every step of the way, and you know the last words from any of them when ever I call even now,(which I still am doing all the time) is Don't ever hesitate to call with a question about anything. So yes I am very happy with my decision to go with TM and glad your problem is getting worked out for ya.
    Your probably burnin all kinds of stuff like this right now arn't ya, Hope So. Shapenfab
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steer Head 008 [1024x768].JPG  

Talking

Shapenfab
    im selling my hypertherm1650 only b/c the warranty is almost out and ive been looking at the A120 that you have and was wondering if you could give me any pros and cons about it from your experience. one thing that appealed to me was the ability of the to run it on 1 phase and still have 120 amps of cutting power but on the other hand at 100 amps on the 1650 i can run 137 ipm on .250 material and the A120 will do 80 ipm. just any input would really be appreciated if you have the time.

thanks
    bakerj99

so if anyone is wanting a hypertherm 1650 i have one for sale with 25' machine torch and a 50' hand torch my email is [email protected]

You may want to look at the Hypertherm Powermax1250 if you need to run on single phase..... Running a 100 Amp or a 120 Amp plasma on single phase is going to require an especially large fuse or breaker....and a huge cable to connect the plasma! If you undersize the input power...you won't be able to run the system at full output.

Hypertherm made the decision that an 80 Amp plasma is the best option for single phase input power from a portability point of view...and from an installation cost point of view. Power is power....the T-D unit needs the same amount of power in vs. power out as a Hypertherm unit!

The advantgae with the Hypertherm systems is in consumable life....and you also will notice better thickness and speed capability at lower power outputs.

Best regards, Jim