586,504 active members*
3,393 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Mini Mill power supply error?

Mini Mill power supply error?

Hi Guys,

I have a 2000 Mini Mill that I bought a few years ago and it has been great. I mostly just cut aluminum ( I make prototype molds part time). I have it hooked up as single phase in my garage.
    I just received the following errors:

292 320V Power supply fault - incoming line voltage is above maximum

177 overvoltage shut down

Does anybody know what this could be and how is Haas service (price wise)
    Thanks.

Did you try to power up again? It could have been a transient over-voltage on the incoming supply.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I reset it last night and ran a program fine, however this morning the same thing but it won't clear. I've tried the power down and reset. Tonight I will check the line voltage and look for any fuses?

It's summer time. My power company pushes up the line voltage during the summer to get more energy out to their customers during hot parts of the day. I've seen it vary from 110 to 121V per leg, in a single day. I'd take a good look at that line voltage.
    Greg

I should have scrolled up on the alarms because I now see:

123 spindle drive fault

I should have scrolled up on the alarms because I see:

123 spindle drive fault - any ideas?

Does this machine have a "Vector Drive" in the back or is the spindle driven by an amplifier board, same as each axis? It sounds like a bad vector drive (not good news, sorry).
    Greg

yes I think it is Vector drive.

Well, there is no 'think' in this case; either it's a vector drive machine or it's not. You need to figure out which.

Vector Drive:
    rectifies high voltage, 325VDC power for all of the axis amplifiers in the machine. It also controls the spindle--it's the spindle drive amplifier. It says "Vector Drive" right on it. It controls all of the spindle's actions (speed, position, braking).

Non Vector Drive:
    these machines are slightly different. The incoming power goes through a box in the same spot as the Vector Drive. In this case, that box is nothing but a 325VDC power supply. It has a rectifier bridge and some capacitors in it. From there, it takes power over to the axis amplifiers. In a non vector drive machine, they use a high-output amplifier to control the spindle. Other than the increased amperage, it looks just like the X,Y and Z amplifiers.

How are you with diagnosing electronics and finding & replacing components? There are voltages inside that cabinet that can easily kill you and maybe even light you on fire (no, I'm not kidding). Those voltages are even present after shutting off the power (stored in the capacitors in the power supply). Don't touch anything unless you absolutely know what you're doing.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Well, there is no 'think' in this case; either it's a vector drive machine or it's not. You need to figure out which.

Vector Drive:
    rectifies high voltage, 325VDC power for all of the axis amplifiers in the machine. It also controls the spindle--it's the spindle drive amplifier. It says "Vector Drive" right on it. It controls all of the spindle's actions (speed, position, braking).

Non Vector Drive:
    these machines are slightly different. The incoming power goes through a box in the same spot as the Vector Drive. In this case, that box is nothing but a 325VDC power supply. It has a rectifier bridge and some capacitors in it. From there, it takes power over to the axis amplifiers. In a non vector drive machine, they use a high-output amplifier to control the spindle. Other than the increased amperage, it looks just like the X,Y and Z amplifiers.

How are you with diagnosing electronics and finding & replacing components? There are voltages inside that cabinet that can easily kill you and maybe even light you on fire (no, I'm not kidding). Those voltages are even present after shutting off the power (stored in the capacitors in the power supply). Don't touch anything unless you absolutely know what you're doing.
    I answered "I think" because I'm not at the machine and I'm going by memory. Thanks for the warning about high voltage - yes I'm well aware of the dangers. I would like to have an idea as what could be wrong before a Haas technician looks at - analogous to knowing what's wrong before a mechanic fixes your car, so you not wasting money fixing things en route to what is truly wrong. I know my limitations I'm a plastics and mechanical engineer - never liked electrical, however I can trouble shoot. I'm soliciting advise based on the error codes hoping someone has run into the same set.

The incoming voltage has been constant over a couple of hours so I don't think there is a spike. Is the order of the codes the sequence of failure events?

Well, I'm not wanting to type out every possible failure because then you're going to have to read through it all, comprehend it and figure out which problem is yours.

The short version: I think you have a Vector Drive, it's toast, you're about to have your wallet removed through your left nostril and $4000 will be extracted and given to Gene's Nascar team (sorry...that's probably what it is. ).

The longer version:

You had two errors: voltage related and spindle drive fault.

• If you don't have a Vector Drive, it might be the 325VDC power supply. There might be some repairable components inside or you can just get a replacement.
    • If you do have a Vector Drive, there are some failures inside that you might be able to repair on your own. If it's not one of those components, you're looking at $3500-4500 for a replacement Vector Drive.

Open the cabinet, figure out which type of spindle drive you have and get back to us.

Edit: one more question--what kind of phase converter are you using, did you measure the voltages inside the Haas cabinet and are all three legs the same? You still need to be absolutely sure that it's not something simple like an incoming power problem, loose ground or other simple failure.
    Greg

Ok, good news I suppose - its not vector drive. I did not check the voltage in the machine yet. I will go that route when I get home from work. I did notice on the 320V power supply the error code is "A" which said incoming AC fault.

Update: I traced the problem to the low voltage power supply (servo amp). It was 6:00 (Massachusetts) last night I called the main office thinking they could ship it out, but they said I have to order through Connecticut, which was closed. The other thing is they said I have to buy the whole assembly PN 93-0962F not just the PCBA that is attached to the back of it for $350.00. The board is made by Skynet PN SNP-9061 (comparable switching power supplys are $45 bucks) so I will call that company to see if I can buy it directly from them. Is there another source for Haas parts or that Skynet part that anybody might know of?

There's probably a part number on the power supply (along with the manufacturer's name). Google it. It's probably a common, industrial power supply.

Also try:
    http://www.digikey.com/
    http://www.newark.com/
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by plastibob View Post
    Update: I traced the problem to the low voltage power supply (servo amp). It was 6:00 (Massachusetts) last night I called the main office thinking they could ship it out, but they said I have to order through Connecticut, which was closed. The other thing is they said I have to buy the whole assembly PN 93-0962F not just the PCBA that is attached to the back of it for $350.00. The board is made by Skynet PN SNP-9061 (comparable switching power supplys are $45 bucks) so I will call that company to see if I can buy it directly from them. Is there another source for Haas parts or that Skynet part that anybody might know of?
    Try:

http://skynet.industrialpartner.com/...s/snp-9061.htm

regards,

Jim

Haas has integrated the functionality of that board into the low voltage power supply (93-0962F). FYI Skynet will fix the board for $40.00; if they can't they'll send you a new one.