586,655 active members*
3,882 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma Howa Millac 4H Y axis problem

Okuma Howa Millac 4H Y axis problem

Hello, I've posted this on the Fanuc forum and it may be something you could help me with here. I have a "sequencer" that may have lost some power through old batteries and that could be contributing to the problem. Please read and let me know.

"Hello to all,
    I have an old Okuma Howa Millac 4 H (horizontal machining centre with pallets) and it's been "resting" for some years but now I'm resurrecting it. After I bought it at auction 3 years ago, I spent ages to clean out the solid waste that blocked every moving thing and did manage to get it running, sort of. X, Y, Z and the pallet changer all worked but I was missing some manuals and couldn't work out the tool changer.

Well it's time to try again and so far I've managed to wake it up again and have everything but the Y axis working. I can't move it by any means and it causes no error signals that I'm aware of. It's as if there was no Y axis at all. I can't zero reference it and have no joy with the hand wheel, jog or g functions. When I try to zero reference it, there is deathly silence

I can successfully run programs that use everything else. If I sneak in a line for a Y move, the program stops and helpfully advises me that I have a ref return error, but, of course I did know that.

When trying to turn the Y axis screw I get a humming and strong resistance so I think the brake is working.

There are two green LEDs lit up on the motor drive board just as on the Z and X boards.

I noticed that the spindle drops a few millimetres each time turn off the power so I think the Y axis brake releases for a fraction of a second.

At one stage when I ran the X into soft alarm I also got a 427 alarm for the Y but that's it and only the once.

After reading many of the other posts here I've checked some things such as way lube and soft alarms. Would anyone have any ideas where to go from here?
    regards, Roland

is this machine equipped with Fanuc control?
    check the Y axis limit switch. Overtravel release, maybe?
    what alarm it gives if MDI mode comad:
    G0 G90 Y100?

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    G0 G90 Y100?
    Hello, The machine has a fanuc 6M controller .

There is a box called a sequencer by Okuma and the batteries on it were old so I suspect it may have lost some information. I'm lost at the moment, though.

The Y axis is in the middle of its travel and not touching any limits

The overtravel switch is released and the limit switches are free.
    regards, Roland

Hello Roland,
    Is this Okuma Milac 4H 4 axis machine? I saw the one like yours with 6M has B axis in degrees on screen. Mine is 5H. I have not turned on my machine, I am still cleaning up and routing cable. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    G0 G90 Y100?
    Hi Algirdas, The alarm it gives is something like "return Ref" indicating that Y hasn't been referenced.
    Roland

Have you tried checking the diagnostics for the Y axis..?
    Go to the start of the last page on the diagnostics screen I think it's No: 801
    It should be around 0 sometrimes -1 or +1 ifthe motor is working ok. There are other diagnostics to check and they are listed in the Fanuc Maintenance manual...i'de have to look them up as I can't remember them without checking my manual!

John.

The Y axis is in the middle of its travel and not touching any limits
    did You checked limit switch? Chips or dirt could touch LS, especially if axis travel was in certain interval for a long time
    "return Ref" indicating that Y hasn't been referenced
    movement of Y axis is prohibited - all right

hai frens.....plz help me.....im using cnc turnmill 4axis......
    i have problam when cut the arc in g19 plane yz coordinates.......
    if anybody have example program for arc using g19 means please send the program to my email....my email address [email protected]
    thanks you...

Hi vkrau!
    What is the ALARM on CRT?

If the machine is telling you it needs reference established for the Y then establish it. This is done with parameter 1815. This needs to be set for the corresponding axis in order to tell the machine where reference is. Once this is set then you should be able to move the axis. After you set this ref bit to a 1 then you need cycle the power to take. Try this and see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCZILLA View Post
    If the machine is telling you it needs reference established for the Y then establish it. This is done with parameter 1815... Try this and see if it helps.
    Thanks CNCZILLA, I'm currently moving the machine to a new factory and will try again once I set up there.
    Roland

Hi roland, I have the same mill and have every thing working except the pallet changer. I can manually shuttle them in in and out but can not figure out why I cant get a program to change pallets. Do you have a sample progran that you used to change pallets? If so could you send me it?
    Thanks.
    Greg

Hi, have you sorted your pallet change problem yet?
    Cheers
    Len

sorry for late reply friends....
    thanks for ur supports...

hello frens, anybody can explain about cnc auto lathe and program format too????