586,070 active members*
3,430 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Should I buy it? KM3P

Should I buy it? KM3P

I have a chance to buy a KM3P, appears to be a nice running machine currently being used for making plastic molds it is "full 3d capable" it comes with the control panel that has two monitors and also a PC that is connected to it that has Hurco DNC software so it appears you can load a cad file using a post processor. (I Think?) To be honest I have no knowledge of CNC but want to learn, I have a building for my business now so power will not be an issue. My problem is I really dont know what I need, what to look for or if anything is missing. I realize this will be a big learning curve but we must start somewhere right? Any one have some knowledge to share or opinion on this machine? price under 5K

Thanks,
    Mike

Any thoughts?
    Mike

What kind of machining background do you have?

I have a strong engineering (went to school for ME) and drawing background. I can run a manual mill, and lathe fairly well. Strong mechanical background currently make aftermarket automotive parts but want to move some operations in house.
    Mike

I just went to lok at them they are indeed in very nice shape considering the age. I wrote my first progam on one of them using the conversational programing and we then went and made a surfcam file dropped in on a flopp and drop fed it into the machine. which it ran. SO all appers well. Now I just need to figure out what to do with them and I will be set.
    Mike