586,713 active members*
3,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Postprocessor for EMC2 mill

Postprocessor for EMC2 mill

I am using EMC2 on my 3 axis mill. Does anyone have a postprocessor for Edgecam that works with EMC2?

EMC2 can't read the g-codes that edgecam produces.

I am not familiar with the machine but if code examples and machine detiail were provided I could probably write you a post.

It is a gantry router. X moves the gantry, Y is along the gantry and Z is up and down.

It has a milling spindle attached to the Z axis. There is no rotational axis.

Attached is a g-code that Edgecam produced, but this does not work on EMC2. It does not understand the g-code, a lot of errors listed. If I remove the problem-lines, new errors come up. One of the errors is that it can not understand the G10 command, and also a lot of the M-codes returns an error.

I know that the "comments part" in the g-code file must have brackets ( ) instead of *.

This is g-code that EMC2 understands:
    http://www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/gcode.html

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

It may take me until Monday to get this done. I also need to know what version of EdgeCAM you are running. If I create the post in a newer version you won't be able to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by howecnc View Post
    It may take me until Monday to get this done. I also need to know what version of EdgeCAM you are running. If I create the post in a newer version you won't be able to use it.
    Thanks! the version is 11.5

Well here is the bad news. I only have versions back to 12 sp1. I used to have all the way back to 11 but must have deleted them.

If you want to proceed further with this you would have to send me the 11.5 CD.
    If that is what you want to do then we can continue this using private messages.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

N110 S2000 M3 M41 M9
    wouldn't having 3 M codes on one line cause you problems

what are you wanting the g10 to do here N20 G10 P1 Z0.0 R1.5 T00

this may help http://www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html...Set-Tool-Table
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    N110 S2000 M3 M41 M9
    wouldn't having 3 M codes on one line cause you problems

what are you wanting the g10 to do here N20 G10 P1 Z0.0 R1.5 T00

this may help http://www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html...Set-Tool-Table
    I really don't know, Edgecam has written it for me. It is a simple program to make some circular pockets.

Can I make Edgecam to forget about all the tool change stuff an put out a simple g-code?

All of your code output is controlled by your post processor.

If you do not know what code your cnc controller likes, you should refer to the programming manual. It will have a list of accepted g codes, m codes, as well as (and most importantly) sample programs.

If you understand the code required to run your machine, then making a post isn't all that hard. Just open the Code Wizard and start looking through the different areas and see what you can figure out.

When you run into problems, I can probably talk you through them or you can send me the code wizard file, tell me what you are trying to do and I can trouble shoot the answer for you.

Thanks for all replies, been on holidays i the meantime.

I have managed to make a postprocessor that is one big step in the right direction. Still I see some problems that I can't find the solution to.

When edgecam produces several interpolation G-codes after one other, it skips som valuable information. See one example:

G1 Z-0.5 M41 F2.0 M7
    G17
    G3 I-14.75 J0.0 F18.4 M41 M7
    G1 Z-1.0 M41 F2.0 M7
    G3 F18.4 M41 M7
    G1 Z-1.5 M41 F2.0 M7
    G3 F18.4 M41 M7
    G1 Z-2.0 M41 F2.0 M7
    G3 F18.4 M41 M7
    G1 Z-2.5 M41 F2.0 M7
    etc etc...

The G3-code is complete at the third line in the code above, but valuable information is left out at line 5, 7, 9 etc.

How do I make the postprocessor put out all the needed information each time?

Check your settings in the Modal tab, found under "NC Style, G-Codes and Modality".

You can also right-click on a token in the code constructor and select 'Force Output Now'.

You're getting there. Good luck.

Regards,
    Jeremiah Stikeleather
    ATS

Got it sorted, thanks!

Had some problems with the tool change stuff, so I just deleted everything about that stuff. Now it actually works! I should do some testing before raising the flag.

tell us how you did it!

please!